Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you help with my feelings? Watch

Announcements

Hey!

So I'm 17 years old, and I've been with my boyfriend (also 17) for almost 2 and a half years now.

I've just recently been starting to get incredibly worried about the future; we always make jokes about living together and like what we'll do when we both go to university, but now I'm kinda scared.

It's not that I don't love him - I do! We've just been together for such a long time at a relatively young age, and I'm suddenly scared at how serious we are. I always hear stories about people who get married at less than 2.5 years, and like I just can't imagine spending my entire life with this guy, even though I love him more than anything.

Is it normal to feel this way? I've tried asking friends but they've only been in relationships for 4 months at most, so they don't really get it.

ReputationRep:
    He's probably feeling the same way too (scared), like you said, you are both really young just enjoy your time together for now. You have years ahead of you to worry

But why can't you see a future with him?

ReputationRep:
    Its totally normal to feel this way! You are still very very young and the thought of being with a guy forever and all that can appear a little strange, like moving in a house together because it is something completely new! Give it time....as you two age and become more mature, these things will seem a lot more normal and I therefore think you could then see yourself with this guy forever

(Original post by C_tinie_D)
    He's probably feeling the same way too (scared), like you said, you are both really young just enjoy your time together for now. You have years ahead of you to worry

But why can't you see a future with him?
    Yeah our time together right now is absolutely brilliant!
    I suppose the only reason I can't see a future is because I'm a lot more ambitious than he is. I want to do so many things during university and later life, but he just wants to go with the flow and isn't really interested in doing everything.

Thank you so much for your reply!

(Original post by futuremedic1997)
    Its totally normal to feel this way! You are still very very young and the thought of being with a guy forever and all that can appear a little strange, like moving in a house together because it is something completely new! Give it time....as you two age and become more mature, these things will seem a lot more normal and I therefore think you could then see yourself with this guy forever
    Thank god - I thought I was an absolutely horrible girlfriend for feeling like this.
    When I think about it, it would be so much fun living together because we are pretty much the exact same person, but God it's still scary to think about!

Thank you so much for your reply - you've made me feel tons better!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank god - I thought I was an absolutely horrible girlfriend for feeling like this.
    When I think about it, it would be so much fun living together because we are pretty much the exact same person, but God it's still scary to think about!

Thank you so much for your reply - you've made me feel tons better!!
    No problem! Don't worry you're not a bad girlfriend for feeling like this, like you said you do love him and that's all that matters! Things happen naturally at the right age. I'm 18, and the thought of me getting married is WEIRD, i mean I'm so immature xD But just remember give it time, when you're like 23 or so, it'll be normal, trust me! Best of luck in the future

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.