Woman in black Assessment next week HELP :)

Watch
dextertrain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is anyone else doing the assessment where you need to explain how Susan Hill uses emotive impression on the reader in the chapter "accross the causeway"?

I am getting stuck from time to time, I have my quotes but struggle sometimes in making a point to form my PEE chain :/
asox
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing the Woman in Black for my English Literature exam and I have my mock next week so I could potentially have this question too...
I think you have to focus on the ominous language which is used throughout the chapter and also the loneliness of the character.
Another thing to look at would be to look up elements of the Gothic as it is a common technique Hill uses throughout the book and gets you high marks in the exam. You need to then spot these elements within the text which is surprising easier than it seems. I'm not actually 100% sure what happens in this chapter but if it includes the noises of the crashing carriage and child's scream on the causeway you could talk about the way Hill portrays it as a childlike scream and talk about the innocence towards it. After talking about this, you could say how it all makes you feel empathetic and sorry for Kipps.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (32)
13.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (50)
21.74%
Live streaming events (22)
9.57%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (23)
10%
A uni comparison tool (53)
23.04%
An in-person event when available (50)
21.74%