Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone as you can see Im new to this forum and Im really excited that I found this usefull resource.

Im an Spanish Electronic Engineer living in Venezuela, South America and I have currently applied to 2 UK universities for a MSc Degree in Telecommunications. The reason Im starting this theard is because I think you guys might help me alot taking up my final decission.

Well,the situation is that Ive been accepted into 2 MSc courses and I would like to know any opinions that you people can give me in the following areas : University Reputation, Industry Relationships, Student Life and any other details that can help me out.

1.- University of Surrey,
    MSc in Communication Networks & Software.

2.- Aston University
    MSc in Telecommunications Technology.

Well, I would really appreciate any help ASAP... Thanks alot

unK

ReputationRep:
    Id go for surrey personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Id go for surrey personally
    Any Reasons why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unK)
    Any Reasons why?
    Well its in Guildford, which is nice.

Surrey is one of the best universities for engineering.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Surrey is very good. Esp in Comms.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else that would help me out?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    bump!

Please help me out.. time is running out...

ReputationRep:
    Both universities have good, solid reputations in technical subjects.
    Guildford (Surrey) is probably the nicer town and closer to London but can be quite expensive. Aston is basically a suburb of Birmingham I think - Birmingham has improved and now has a swish new shopping centre so fine if you like cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big mama)
    Both universities have good, solid reputations in technical subjects.
    Guildford (Surrey) is probably the nicer town and closer to London but can be quite expensive. Aston is basically a suburb of Birmingham I think - Birmingham has improved and now has a swish new shopping centre so fine if you like cities.
    Well, thanks for ur post. Ive been giving this alot of thinking in the last week and Ive come to the conclusion that I should give more impotance to both how good could I perform in the Modules and which Univ has best Industry relationship for Employment.

Univ of Surrey
    MSc in Communication Networks & Software

Modules:
    Maths of signal Processing.
    Principles of Telecom & Packet Networks.
    Object Oriented Design & C++
    MicroProcessor Architectures.
    Multimedia System & Component Tech.
    Mobile & Personal Communications
    Data & Internet Networking
    Network & Service Managment & Control.
    MSc Project.

Aston University
    MSc in Telecommunications Technology

Modules:
    Information Theory and Coding, and Traffic Theory.
    Digital Transmission
    Optical Communication Systems.
    Radio Systems and Personal Communication Networks.
    Circuit Switched Networks and Digital Switching Techniques.
    Internetworking
    Software Engineering.
    Introductory Programming.
    MSc Project.

One thing that matter alot for me is the relations with industry cause i would like to find a nice job related with my MSc. I see Aston mentions good relationship with companies like : BT, GEC, Nortel, Marconi, Siemens, Hewlett Packard, Vodafone, Alcatel, Lucent Technology but I havent really seen any information related to Surrey in the documentation Ive received. I dont know how important Employment-related could be to be in a larger city like Birmingham compared to Guildford; Perhaps being in a larger city makes it easier to get a good project in an important Communications Company wouldnt it?

Thanks alot for you guys help hope to see more opinions...

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big mama)
    Aston is basically a suburb of Birmingham I think - Birmingham has improved and now has a swish new shopping centre so fine if you like cities.
    Yeah but Aston University isn't actually in Aston, it's just as you go into the city centre so two minutes walk and you're in a fantastic city

I've never been to Surrey University but I think Aston University is lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unK)
    One thing that matter alot for me is the relations with industry cause i would like to find a nice job related with my MSc. I see Aston mentions good relationship with companies like : BT, GEC, Nortel, Marconi, Siemens, Hewlett Packard, Vodafone, Alcatel, Lucent Technology but I havent really seen any information related to Surrey in the documentation Ive received. I dont know how important Employment-related could be to be in a larger city like Birmingham compared to Guildford; Perhaps being in a larger city makes it easier to get a good project in an important Communications Company wouldnt it?
    You will find Surrey is just as well, if not more, industrially connected as Aston.

Bear in mind that industry/university collaborations often occur at the PhD/Postdoctoral level and therefore it doesn't necessarily have a direct connection with MSc's. Although the name of the university and the fact that you have studied in a good environment might do you some favours job applications wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Although the name of the university and the fact that you have studied in a good environment might do you some favours job applications wise.
    This is whats more important for me. And its hard to know which one would be the best option in this area considering that im not from the UK :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unK)
    This is whats more important for me. And its hard to know which one would be the best option in this area considering that im not from the UK :confused:
    I think Surrey has the edge in Telecomms. They are involved in a large number of European level projects in this area involving many universities and companies. So I think they are fairly well known in the relevant sectors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I think Surrey has the edge in Telecomms. They are involved in a large number of European level projects in this area involving many universities and companies. So I think they are fairly well known in the relevant sectors.
    Thats true... Well seems like I should go to Surrey and as of now I think thats the right place to go.

Thanks for you help.

ReputationRep:
    personally id go for aston, wicked city!!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.