Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I get a degree to teach in both Primary and Secondary school? Watch

    • Thread Starter

    I know to become a teacher you need to have QTS. I want to teach in primary school but also have the opportunity to change to secondary should I ever need to.
    If I could teach any subject, it would be religious studies. So, would I need to get a degree in Religious Studies with QTS. I know this will allow me to teach RE in secondary but will it allow me to teach in primary school as well?

    BTW, in secondary school, teachers mostly teach a specific subject but in primary, the class teacher teaches the whole curriculum.
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    There is no qualification which enables you to teach in both secondary and primary schools. Do a degree in Religious Studies and use the time to volunteer in primary and secondary schools and figure out where you'd like to work. After your degree you can do the relevant PGCE.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

    Articles and guides:

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

    Featured recruiter profiles:

    CGI logo

    CGI is open for applications

    "Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

    Deutsche Bank logo

    Deutsche Bank is recruiting

    "Thrive in an international banking environment"

    ICAEW logo


    "Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

    Army logo

    The Army is recruiting now

    "With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Quick links:

    Unanswered career sector and employment threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.