AQA Psychology Questions [A2]

Watch this thread
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have a couple questions about A2 Psychology.

- How many IDA points do we have to have in each essay? Are they required?

- If a question involves two theories do we have to evaluate the second theory if we already have five evaluation points from the first theory and the accompanying study?

- How much does structure matter? If I don't follow a conventional structure but I still include the necessary information will I get less marks? Nothing too weird, for example:

Intro
Theory 1 Explanation
Study
Evaluation of Study
Evaluation of Study
Evaluation of Theory
Evaluation of Theory
Evaluation of Theory
Theory 2 Explanation
retardis
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Protégé)
I have a couple questions about A2 Psychology.

- How many IDA points do we have to have in each essay? Are they required?

- If a question involves two theories do we have to evaluate the second theory if we already have five evaluation points from the first theory and the accompanying study?

- How much does structure matter? If I don't follow a conventional structure but I still include the necessary information will I get less marks? Nothing too weird, for example:

Intro
Theory 1 Explanation
Study
Evaluation of Study
Evaluation of Study
Evaluation of Theory
Evaluation of Theory
Evaluation of Theory
Theory 2 Explanation
1. Our teacher says to include 2 IDA's but really you can just do one really well elaborated one.

2. I'm not sure but I'd personally say yes because it shows the examiner that you know the knowledge to evaluate both and your knowledge is equally spread between both explanation/theory.

3. I'd say firstly, do whatever you're comfortable with but it is best to have a good, clear structure as the examiner will be very grateful. Simple things such as a space between each point, will make the examiner happy and a happy examiner means more marks (hopefully)

Hope that helps!
Protégé
Rep:
(Original post by ******is)
1. Our teacher says to include 2 IDA's but really you can just do one really well elaborated one.

2. I'm not sure but I'd personally say yes because it shows the examiner that you know the knowledge to evaluate both and your knowledge is equally spread between both explanation/theory.

3. I'd say firstly, do whatever you're comfortable with but it is best to have a good, clear structure as the examiner will be very grateful. Simple things such as a space between each point, will make the examiner happy and a happy examiner means more marks (hopefully)

Hope that helps!
Yeah, my essays do have paragraphs, lol.

Thanks for the advice mate, started revision a little late I guess.
retardis
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, my essays do have paragraphs, lol.

Thanks for the advice mate, started revision a little late I guess.
Yeah was going to say signpost but don't know if you're taught that & don't worry late revision is better than no revision
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Always evaluate every theory explained. And for top marks/better flow try and integrate theories and studies rather than paragraph of each (got A* at A-level and a psych graduate so know what I'm talking about!)
Protégé
Rep:
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Always evaluate every theory explained. And for top marks/better flow try and integrate theories and studies rather than paragraph of each (got A* at A-level and a psych graduate so know what I'm talking about!)
So you absolutely have to evaluate every theory, even if you've already got 5 AO2 points?

Honestly, I find that it's a bit messy to do it like that. Paragraphs become large if a study and theory are mixed together and I find that I'd have to remove detail in order for it to look good. None of the teachers in my college have ever recommended that either.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
So you absolutely have to evaluate every theory, even if you've already got 5 AO2 points?

Honestly, I find that it's a bit messy to do it like that. Paragraphs become large if a study and theory are mixed together and I find that I'd have to remove detail in order for it to look good. None of the teachers in my college have ever recommended that either.
Well if the question is about 2 theories (or more) then obvs yes. But if it's just about 1 theory then just explaining another is sufficient I guess, but I would still evaluate the other theory(s). Essays aren't just about getting in all the A02 marks.

I was recommended it at both sixth form and uni so I guess it differs. But it is a lot better flow if you can do it. If you can't then obvs don't as it will make you lose marks but generally speaking, if you can, do.
Protégé
Rep:
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Well if the question is about 2 theories (or more) then obvs yes. But if it's just about 1 theory then just explaining another is sufficient I guess, but I would still evaluate the other theory(s). Essays aren't just about getting in all the A02 marks.

I was recommended it at both sixth form and uni so I guess it differs. But it is a lot better flow if you can do it. If you can't then obvs don't as it will make you lose marks but generally speaking, if you can, do.
Well, some questions specifically ask for evaluation from both theories but if a question is vague and just asks about a topic, I take it that I don't have to?

I could do it but I prefer separating them and just linking them with a line at the beginning. Thanks for the advice.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well, some questions specifically ask for evaluation from both theories but if a question is vague and just asks about a topic, I take it that I don't have to?

I could do it but I prefer separating them and just linking them with a line at the beginning. Thanks for the advice.
Well I would say that using another theory to evaluate the main theory discussed should be fine. But maybe a couple of lines refuting back to the current theory may be advisable to maximise chance of top marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (114)
41.01%
They're exactly what I expected (66)
23.74%