Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can anyone doing A Level Computing help me with De Morgan's Law? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get the class explanation of it and none of the online explanations make sense to me. Does anyone know of any good resources for it?

This is the sort of stuff I'm finding online, but it doesn't make any sense to me:
    Code:
    In propositional logic and boolean algebra this law conformed of a pair of transformational rules that are both solid and valid rules of inference, these rules allow for the expression of conjunctions and disjunctions purely in terms of eachother via negation.

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind, I found a good video for it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkPUBCaLiJE. It's for the AQA spec rather than OCR but only the notation is different. See:
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 123
Size:  27.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    "not (A or B)" is the same as "(not A) and (not B)".

Say if your a programmer writing the next gen Zoo simulation game you might have a rule that says:
    Dont pet oscar if hes hungry or angry.

You could write the code like:
    if (oscarIsNotAngry and oscarisNotHungry)
    pet()

or
    if( !(oscarIsAngry or oscarIsHungry))
    pet()

Because demorgans law says they are the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oscarandjo)
    I didn't get the class explanation of it and none of the online explanations make sense to me. Does anyone know of any good resources for it?

This is the sort of stuff I'm finding online, but it doesn't make any sense to me:
    Code:
    In propositional logic and boolean algebra this law conformed of a pair of transformational rules that are both solid and valid rules of inference, these rules allow for the expression of conjunctions and disjunctions purely in terms of eachother via negation.
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-leve...organ%27s_Laws

This resource helped me so much. They explain it about 3 different ways include a logic table proof and practice questions with explained answers.

Nothing else explains it as well. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.