Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently in my 1st year, but want to transfer to a 'brick' uni to do my second. I'm currently with the open uni and i've never even been to a lecture or written an essay! It's more frequent assignments with several shorter questions.

I am still only 20, and did have a place at uni last year but decided i wasn't ready yet and instead of just working, I am doing first year with them alongside my job.

I've been thinking though, would I really struggle jumping straight into second year? And what if things are taught slightly differently, and will i still make friends, will I be able to settle in as well or would it be better to just write this year off and start 1st year all over again?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's a case of even being able to 'jump into second year' most unis require prerequisite courses to study second year, as they lay down the foundation in first year. Each uni teaches a slightly different syllabus, so you may not have learnt what you need for second year.

You would probably only be able to apply for first year entry to most universities.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've gathered, transferring into the second year of a course is only really possible if you have a good reason for doing so. For example, personal or financial reasons.

ReputationRep:
    If you have time you could try to attend open days and ask admissions professors directly. Always easier to find out in person.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.