Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition: Petition to Increase MPs Salaries. Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Petition to Increase MPs Salaries.

This petition calls for MPs to be paid a base salary of £175k but without any expenses. This means that becoming an MP aligns with many's aspirations but also means that the british people can have faith in the fact that there is no possibility for another expenses scandal to happen.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This isn't as long as my last one, but it is an important issue. Ask anyone why the British people have so little faith in politicians and "expenses" will be one of the top concerns.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    MP's current salaries are already a long long way above the average wage and you do not have to be particularly skilled to be an MP these days. However, increasing their salaries just a tiny bit will not have an impact on the UK economy so I wouldn't really object.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    My issue is, Mps who are remote, or need to travel a long way to Westminster, may have higher expenses than most. I'm thinking Northern Irish Mps, and maybe those from the Scottish islands etc. Their expenses are higher than those of other Mps, meaning- should a base rate be paid, their relative salary would be lower than that of any other MP, with little expenses.

There is 1 MP in particular, with so much travelling to do [Jim Shannon from Northern Ireland] his 200k expenses would leave him with a -25k salary
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    My issue is, Mps who are remote, or need to travel a long way to Westminster, may have higher expenses than most. I'm thinking Northern Irish Mps, and maybe those from the Scottish islands etc. Their expenses are higher than those of other Mps, meaning- should a base rate be paid, their relative salary would be lower than that of any other MP, with little expenses.

There is 1 MP in particular, with so much travelling to do [Jim Shannon from Northern Ireland] his 200k expenses would leave him with a -25k salary
    I mean it's only a quick idea. Alternatively there could be a commission set up to decide the limit for expenses that each MP can claim. OR we can amend the way that expenses work to make sure that MPs aren't using them to re-mortgage their homes and do other things to immorally take money from the treasury.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    MP's current salaries are already a long long way above the average wage and you do not have to be particularly skilled to be an MP these days. However, increasing their salaries just a tiny bit will not have an impact on the UK economy so I wouldn't really object.
    You'll actually find that MP salaries are incredibly low

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You'll actually find that MP salaries are incredibly low

Let me take a look at some of the top countries there, eg Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana. Their MPs wages are relatively high, compared to the GDP of their country.

If you don't mind me saying; these countries would be relatively poor. Although I am right wing, and believe in the free market working best, it isn't good for the countries representatives/ controllers becoming richer, taking a high salary and living the high life, while the rest of their country sit in poverty, major poverty!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Let me take a look at some of the top countries there, eg Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana. Their MPs wages are relatively high, compared to the GDP of their country.

If you don't mind me saying; these countries would be relatively poor. Although I am right wing, and believe in the free market working best, it isn't good for the countries representatives/ controllers becoming richer, taking a high salary and living the high life, while the rest of their country sit in poverty, major poverty!
    Even when you carve off the poor and corrupt, and I also think it should be realative to wages rather that GDP, but whatever.

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

Hear, hear!

London MPs have to spend much less than MPs representing constituencies further afield, in particular in Northern Ireland and northern Scotland. The expenses system helps to achieve fairness in this respect.

(In fact, that is a lot of the reason for Corbyn's expenses being so low, he is not entitled to a second home allowance and his transport costs are nil, given he cycles, or significantly lower than most MPs.)

With reference to the sentiment of the bill, I can understand increasing the wages of ministers and the Leader of the Opposition, and I would consider paying the Shadow Cabinet, but basic constituency MPs are sufficiently well paid as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)

This petition calls for MPs to be paid a base salary of £175k but without any expenses. This means that becoming an MP aligns with many's aspirations but also means that the british people can have faith in the fact that there is no possibility for another expenses scandal to happen.

No they should get a base wage of no more than £80,000 + Only out of pocket expenses, this does not include the antics of the speaker of the house and MPS should used most appropriate method of travel for the money paid

ReputationRep:
    Even when you carve off the poor and corrupt, and I also think it should be realative to wages rather that GDP, but whatever.

I'd like to point out that the graph is actually wrong.

It is now (from 2015 £74,000) which i think is about right Even though some MPS do absolutely nothing to justify the wage they are paid
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHelpfulMan)
    I'd like to point out that the graph is actually wrong.

It is now (from 2015 £74,000) which i think is about right Even though some MPS do absolutely nothing to justify the wage they are paid
    It is slightly old, but at the same time most of the others will be up as well.

So, do you know exactly what all MPs do with all their time then?

ReputationRep:
    A return ticket to London from my constituency is over £200. It's hardly fair to ask MPs to pay that amount of money every time they need to go to Parliament and to their constituency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    A return ticket to London from my constituency is over £200. It's hardly fair to ask MPs to pay that amount of money every time they need to go to Parliament and to their constituency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which is why they stay over in London and have expenses to run their constituency office.

ReputationRep:
    It is slightly old, but at the same time most of the others will be up as well.

So, do you know exactly what all MPs do with all their time then?
    What about the ones who hardly vote or speak in Parliament. George Galloway springs to mind, did absolutely nothing to represent his people just did not speak or vote. And when he did speak in Parliament it was always about Palestine. Of course they do research and may have their own interests but that was targeted at lazy Mp's who only turn up at Parliament once every 2 months.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Personally i'm not sold that we need to do this given that i don't think politicians would be any less bought by lobbyists than they are today (a far bigger issue to me). That being said for those on the mainland i think expenses should be culled very significantly. Provide them with a free pass for public transport, have some kind of student accommodation type place (but larger) for all MP's to have a London base for free. Those proposals would cull 90% of second home and travel expenses. Only about 10% (cabinet plus certain select committees) of MP's actually need safeguards that go beyond my suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    this is a joke of course
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHelpfulMan)
    What about the ones who hardly vote or speak in Parliament. George Galloway springs to mind, did absolutely nothing to represent his people just did not speak or vote. And when he did speak in Parliament it was always about Palestine. Of course they do research and may have their own interests but that was targeted at lazy Mp's who only turn up at Parliament once every 2 months.
    Because the entirety of an MP's job is to sit and vote in the chamber...

ReputationRep:
    Which is why they stay over in London and have expenses to run their constituency office.
    However MPs do need to visit their constituency very frequently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because the entirety of an MP's job is to sit and vote in the chamber...
    Oh and your happy your tax money goes to people who never turn up. What about david davis who only turns up 52% of votes. I do not care what they do outside of Parliament many jobs pay less then them do more duties. All they do is debate, raise things in parliament and deal with constituents. Very few MPS have the back bone to demonstrate with the public against things

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.