Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition: Petition to Increase MPs Salaries. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Nay. This only serves to further marginalise the democratic weighting of those in the North, not to mention the Northern Ireland problem mentioned earlier.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nearly tripling salaries?! Nope.

ReputationRep:
    They can just f*ck themselves

ReputationRep:
    For doing nothing... sure.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    My issue is, Mps who are remote, or need to travel a long way to Westminster, may have higher expenses than most. I'm thinking Northern Irish Mps, and maybe those from the Scottish islands etc. Their expenses are higher than those of other Mps, meaning- should a base rate be paid, their relative salary would be lower than that of any other MP, with little expenses.

There is 1 MP in particular, with so much travelling to do [Jim Shannon from Northern Ireland] his 200k expenses would leave him with a -25k salary
    Hear hear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Let me take a look at some of the top countries there, eg Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana. Their MPs wages are relatively high, compared to the GDP of their country.

If you don't mind me saying; these countries would be relatively poor. Although I am right wing, and believe in the free market working best, it isn't good for the countries representatives/ controllers becoming richer, taking a high salary and living the high life, while the rest of their country sit in poverty, major poverty!
    Nuh... the amount plus allowances is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Enough is enough their salary that is.

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...no. They're paid more than enough as it is, and half of them are rich anyway. And don't forget, every extra penny spent paying MPs is a penny that could go into the NHS or education.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    I think it could be interesting to pay MPs a flat rate before expenses which takes into account their declared interests.

ReputationRep:
    Can't we just get them an annual rail pass?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nay, I just think there needs to be a clampdown on what they can claim as expenses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Seriously.
    If anything we should be decreasing their wages.

Sod it, in response to this I'm writing one to decrease wages.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Seriously.
    If anything we should be decreasing their wages.

Sod it, in response to this I'm writing one to decrease wages.
    As an MP you can write a bill and cut out the middle man, but I'd note that the pay rise includes the elimination of expenses.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    As an MP you can write a bill and cut out the middle man, but I'd note that the pay rise includes the elimination of expenses.
    I know, I wrote a very controversial United Ireland bill last month
    Sorry, still a nay - if you look at the transport costs for dual representatives in devolved assemblies they exceed by far their salaries - not that many of them aren't already rich.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I will be naying, as we should be spending that money on more important issues such as the poverty crisis
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    I think that they are too high already.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    instead of writing petitions how about acutally joining a party then you can write bills and motions .....
    And thats a Nay from me ...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    instead of writing petitions how about acutally joining a party then you can write bills and motions .....
    And thats a Nay from me ...
    I would have thought you'd know about being an independent...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.