Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sharing a flat for uni or living by yourself??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi hopefully i will be going uni the question is should i live by myself or share with someone. I dont want to do halls just because i dont like the idea of sharing with idiots or people i dont know or sharing a kitchen and bathroom etc. I do know a few people on the course i want to do that ive known for a while so i was thinking of sharing with them maybe just 2/3 of us. However parents would rather i get it on my own because they keep pestering me about privacy and how ill get distracted since im going there for a degree which is true. Is living by yourself lonely and boring because the last thing i want is me going over and hovering at my friends place because im bored i dont know what to do.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM)
    Hi hopefully i will be going uni the question is should i live by myself or share with someone. I dont want to do halls just because i dont like the idea of sharing with idiots or people i dont know or sharing a kitchen and bathroom etc. I do know a few people on the course i want to do that ive known for a while so i was thinking of sharing with them maybe just 2/3 of us. However parents would rather i get it on my own because they keep pestering me about privacy and how ill get distracted since im going there for a degree which is true. Is living by yourself lonely and boring because the last thing i want is me going over and hovering at my friends place because im bored i dont know what to do.
    If you've known the people you're considering sharing with for a while then i can't see a problem with you sharing with them, as if you dont want to live in halls then depending on the university finding a studio that isnt in halls could be either awkward or expensive and sharing a flat could allow you to have a decent living space between you

ReputationRep:
    Living alone you're going to be looking at limited spaces and lots of money. The cheapest all inclusive studio flat I've come across (and I live in a cheap city) Is about £150 a week.
    An en-suite room is plenty of privacy to be honest, you have a lock and never really have to leave other than to cook
    I live in halls in a flat of 5 and I feel incredibly lonely. If it's your first time away from home as well you might want to be somewhere were there are other people who are in the same boat as you!

ReputationRep:
    Don't let your parents bully you into doing what they want. It is your life and you're the one who is going to have to live on your own if you choose to.

Living on your own vs living with other people is a very personal choice. Some people prefer it particularly if they're introverted and prefer their own space and to be alone most of the time, but a lot of people find it quite lonely and isolating. Especially in first year when the work load is to be honest not that heavy and you'll have a lot more free time than you probably think. Also take into account that you (I assume) have never lived away from home before let alone on your own it can be a very big leap, so only live alone if it what you want to do.

Edit: Also as above 1 bed flats are much more expensive and will likely eat most of if not all of your loan. So if you do get a 1 bed place you may be limited financially in what you can do in your spare time. You may find the cost alone isolates you from spending time with friends and going out.

Also it's worth noting that if the people you're planning on possibly living with do the same course they can actually be an asset to live with especially if you have group work with them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I agree with you but they basically wanted me to commute which I didn't want to do so they keep saying I have to listen to them since they're my parents etc which I agree but Uni is one step to becoming an adult and independent so id rather live my friends to make it more comfortable

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I agree with you but they basically wanted me to commute which I didn't want to do so they keep saying I have to listen to them since they're my parents etc which I agree but Uni is one step to becoming an adult and independent so id rather live my friends to make it more comfortable
    You absolutely don't have to listen to them. Parents always think they know best and they usually have the best of intentions, but in my experience (of at least the ones who haven't studied/ have experience with the modern university system) don't have a clue what they're talking about. I'd be sure to let them know you respect their views but this is completely your decision. You're the one who is going to have to live and study at university for the next 3+ years, not them.

ReputationRep:
    How long would it take you to commute? Because anything over about 40 minutes, it's honestly not feasible. Public transport has a tendency to be delayed. I live 15 minutes from one side of campus when walking, decided to get the bus to an exam because I'd over slept, arrived 40 minutes later :/

ReputationRep:
    If you want to live with friends then you should do that. I live alone in a studio flat and it can get quite lonely. It is also expensive - mine costs £120 per week and is really tiny. It's not great. Can't you tell your parents how much cheaper it will be to share a place with friends? At the end of the day you need to make your own decisions now and your parents need to allow you to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but they said for the sake of 20-30£ pw it isn't bad they basically want me to do things their way even tho Uni makes you independent don't know how I can convince them to allow me to live w friends

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes but they said for the sake of 20-30£ pw it isn't bad they basically want me to do things their way even tho Uni makes you independent don't know how I can convince them to allow me to live w friends

Posted from TSR Mobile

That adds up to a lot of money in a year. There is no "allowing" you, when you go to university you're an adult they cannot legally stop you from doing what you want. They're being unreasonable and frankly idiotic.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.