Turn on thread page Beta

Why use Concentrated Ammonia in Colorimetry? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have done a colorimetry experiment with various concentration of Cu2+ ions but when the [Cu2+] was very diluted (1/100 of standard) my teacher told me to add concentrated ammonia before measuring the absorbance reading why is that necessary and what is the chemical theory behind it?? I have to do a write up about it so any help would be really appreciated
    Thank you
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tajwar786)
    Hi,
    I have done a colorimetry experiment with various concentration of Cu2+ ions but when the [Cu2+] was very diluted (1/100 of standard) my teacher told me to add concentrated ammonia before measuring the absorbance reading why is that necessary and what is the chemical theory behind it?? I have to do a write up about it so any help would be really appreciated
    Thank you
    Hi, I think that this woudl get a better responce in Chemistry then general A-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Hi, I think that this woudl get a better responce in Chemistry then general A-levels
    I tried that in the first place it didn't work, it said "oops something is wrong please try again" but when I changed the category to A-levels it let me submit :/
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I tried that in the first place it didn't work, it said "oops something is wrong please try again" but when I changed the category to A-levels it let me submit :/
    Gingerbread101 can you help us out?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Aph)
    Gingerbread101 can you help us out?
    Moved to the Chemistry forum for you :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    Moved to the Chemistry forum for you :yy:
    Cheers for that.... hopefully I get a reply.. its quite urgent my coursework is due this coming monday
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Hi,
    Thank you
    Concentrated ammonia reacts with copper ions forming a tetrammine complex, which is deep blue in colour. This allows easier detection by colorimetry, particularly in weak copper solutions with little absorbance.

Because why not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    Because why not.

You have any idea of the chemical theory behind this??
    Its quite urgeent.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Its quite urgeent.
    Read my previous post!

Its quite urgeent.
    Sorry,lol
    I can only think of what charco has already said..

ReputationRep:
    Because conc ammonia stinks to high heaven and you don't like your lab partners?

Then again, colorimetery is a fairly silly way of determining conc if pretty dilute. Much better to titrate, IMO.

Add some KI, then titrate against S2O32-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Because conc ammonia stinks to high heaven and you don't like your lab partners?

Then again, colorimetery is a fairly silly way of determining conc if pretty dilute. Much better to titrate, IMO.

Add some KI, then titrate against S2O32-
    I have also done titration,electrochemical cell and gravimetric its part of the coursework to try as many experiments as possible to work out the conc of Cu (II) in a solution.

But my point is what is the chemical theory behind adding the concentrated ammonia any ideas???
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I have also done titration,electrochemical cell and gravimetric its part of the coursework to try as many experiments as possible to work out the conc of Cu (II) in a solution.

But my point is what is the chemical theory behind adding the concentrated ammonia any ideas???
    I've already posted it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    I've already posted it!!!
    No you didn't.

besides this reply wasnt to you anyways

ReputationRep:
    [Cu(H2O)6]2+ is arather pale blue, esp. at low conc.

[Cu(H2O)6]2+ + 4NH3<-> [Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2]2+ + 4H2O

[Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2]2+is a deep blue colour and will absorb more strongly than [Cu(H2O)6]2+ making the colorimetry more sensitive.

Basically what charco said.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 18, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.