Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Top Universities Shouldn't Accept You Unless You Do 4 A2s Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I bet OP still needs to start their GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    I bet OP still needs to start their GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have an Oxbridge degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabster)
    I have an Oxbridge degree
    Of course you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabster)
    Basically, I don't believe top universities (Oxbridge/Imperial etc) should accept you unless you to do 4 A2s. For the reason that you are

EITHER: Talented but would rather doss around than put more work into academia.

OR: Not able to cope with 4A2s which means you most definitely would no be able to cope with the workload at a top university.

Obviously there should have exceptions for where School's don't allow people to do 4 A2s.
    Shouldn't you let the admissions teams decide that?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I imagine most top students could handle 4 A2s. The workload isn't that difficult. Though you've not convinced me that it should be necessary.

(Original post by Trapz99)
    A levels are dumbed down? They're pretty hard for most people, even most of the Cambridge offer holders in my sixth form are saying that a levels are hard. Four a levels show that you can work very hard and important if you are applying for certain subjects (for example, economics at some universities requires four a levels because the universities strongly recommend further maths and economics but also want another subject).
    He's very smart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    But I don't think someone doing 4 A levels instead of 3 means they are more likely to be able to cope with the university workload, and I would guess that anyone who can get something like A*A*A*-A*AA could cope with 4 anyway, and not having done a 4th A level won't make a huge difference to their competence. I think the main issue is just that A levels in general are too easy.
    I don't think they are! I did Physics, Chem, Psych at A-level and I think they were harder than the Software Engineering course I'm currently doing at university in final year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    I don't think they are! I did Physics, Chem, Psych at A-level and I think they were harder than the Software Engineering course I'm currently doing at university in final year
    Which university...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Which university...?
    Sheffield, son

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.