Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm a current Yr 12 student considering taking Dentistry at university. I currently take Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, and Crit Think. If my grades at the end of Yr 12 were not satisfactory for the standard 5 year course, would it be acceptable for me to drop one science so that I was eligible for the foundation course?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt it. Foundation courses are for people who chose the wrong A level subjects from the outset, not people who just didn't do very well at AS level and want to play the system. Admissions tutors will see what subjects you studied in Year 12 and will ask themselves why you dropped the subject most relevant to the degree you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachanapun)
    Hello! I'm a current Yr 12 student considering taking Dentistry at university. I currently take Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, and Crit Think. If my grades at the end of Yr 12 were not satisfactory for the standard 5 year course, would it be acceptable for me to drop one science so that I was eligible for the foundation course?
    Your best chance to study dentistry is to work as hard as you can to get the top grades, do relevant work experience and spend your summer doing preparation for any admissions test you need such as UKCAT. For foundation you still need excellent grades so work to get those.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the feedback! The clarification was very useful and now I'm going try my best! Just wondering, how much work experience did you guys do?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the feedback! The clarification was very useful and now I'm going try my best! Just wondering, how much work experience did you guys do?
    I did 5 weeks shadowing in a GDP, 2 weeks private, and a day with an orthodontist and periodontist. Get as much WEX as you possibly can and in different settings and that will definitely work in your favour

Technically yes you could do this as the 6 year course is available to those who haven't taken 2 sciences to A2 but as I have said to several people on here I would not advise it as your choices are significantly more limited and the other applicants are going to be of a very high academic background. You'd have to fund a year of study yourself also.
    But if your grades at AS were not satisfactory then your chances are pretty much shot. Even for the 6 year course you need AAA at A2 and at least a B in the subject you drop at AS.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is really helpful! I've got a few contacts and just need to complete it. Your advice has been very useful especially as university just seems so daunting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.