Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

David Cameron's Aunt leads a protest against his cuts. watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    David Cameron's aunt has led a protest march against council cuts in Oxfordshire which local politicians have blamed on the Tory government.

Clare Currie said she was protesting against 'all of the cuts' because they were a 'big mistake'.

The protest is the second time this month she has risked embarrassing her nephew after Ms Currie convinced the Prime Minister's mother Mary Cameron to sign a petition against the closure of children's centres.

David Cameron's aunt Clare Currie, ringed in the turquoise scarf, was at the front of a protest march on Saturday in a fresh embarrassment for the Prime Minister

Mr Cameron has been trapped in a row with Oxfordshire County Council about the cuts, which will impact on his own constituents in Witney.

Ms Currie, from Oxford, said: 'I am here to protest against all of the cuts - I think they are a big mistake.'

Speaking at the protest, which marched through Oxford on Saturday, she added: 'I would like the county council to change its mind about making such huge cuts.

'This is going to hurt everybody, particularly people who do not have enough in the first place.'

Read More:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nst-plans.html
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ohhh that's a tad embarrassing for Dave.

Christmas will be awkward

ReputationRep:
    This issue has already come and gone. The government bought off the Tory councils with a £300 million bribe, claiming it's a local government relief fund but in fact 83% of the money is going to Tory councils in the south who were already amongst the least hit by the cuts

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/p...cle4687323.ece

Majority government has caused the Tories to lose all sense of shame, it's like living in a banana republic

ReputationRep:
    In the time honoured manner of all government ministers, Cameron will doubtless be telling the local press that he opposes the cuts, whilst busily supporting them in the House!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    In the time honoured manner of all government ministers, Cameron will doubtless be telling the local press that he opposes the cuts, whilst busily supporting them in the House!
    No need, the government magically found another £250 million for Tory councils, while providing only an extra £50 million for Labour councils. It's pretty outrageous given councils in the 10 most deprived areas (i.e. Labour areas) have on average lost about £700 in revenue per person since 2010, whereas councils in the 10 least deprived areas (i.e. Tory areas) have lost on average about £50.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...lt-social-care

It's objectively bad policy and completely unjustifiable, it seems like the Tories can't even be bothered to try to look like they're governing fairly anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoldenFang)
    No need, the government magically found another £250 million for Tory councils, while providing only an extra £50 million for Labour councils. It's pretty outrageous given councils in the 10 most deprived areas (i.e. Labour areas) have on average lost about £700 in revenue per person since 2010, whereas councils in the 10 least deprived areas (i.e. Tory areas) have lost on average about £50.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...lt-social-care

It's objectively bad policy and completely unjustifiable, it seems like the Tories can't even be bothered to try to look like they're governing fairly anymore
    That £250m won't go far though, it's more of a fig leaf than anything. Both Tory and Labour councils across the country, for example, are currently planning major bus route closures in rural areas. This is going to cause the Tories a lot of political problems over the next couple of years as the effects of the cuts programme start to attack middle class country areas.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.