Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medicine voluteering problems Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Everyone keeps saying to me that you won't get accepted if you have no volunteer work and it's really started to worry me that i won't get into med school without it. I have tried most of the places by home and haven't had a reply from any so there's nothing really much i can do. Any advice??

Ps. Me and my friend both tried for this hospice volunteering and she has been offered it but i haven't heard anything and it's been a few months. Should i email them to check if they got my application or is that rude? If i should email them, any advice on how to phrase the email as i don't want to come across rude.

(Original post by pandasandpens)
    Everyone keeps saying to me that you won't get accepted if you have no volunteer work and it's really started to worry me that i won't get into med school without it. I have tried most of the places by home and haven't had a reply from any so there's nothing really much i can do. Any advice??

Ps. Me and my friend both tried for this hospice volunteering and she has been offered it but i haven't heard anything and it's been a few months. Should i email them to check if they got my application or is that rude? If i should email them, any advice on how to phrase the email as i don't want to come across rude.
    There is NOTHING bad about chasing people up if they havent replied back to you, when i was applying for work experience at a gp practise, all i did was constantly email and call them. it doesnt matter what they think of you.. all you need is the experience
    what kind of volunteering did you apply for??
    and just put in the email something along the lines of
    Hi i applied for volunteering at your organisation a (insert time period) ago and i havent heard back etc

what other experience do you have?? and what year are you in? - just to see if you have enough time
    hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah003)
    There is NOTHING bad about chasing people up if they havent replied back to you, when i was applying for work experience at a gp practise, all i did was constantly email and call them. it doesnt matter what they think of you.. all you need is the experience
    what kind of volunteering did you apply for??
    and just put in the email something along the lines of
    Hi i applied for volunteering at your organisation a (insert time period) ago and i havent heard back etc

what other experience do you have?? and what year are you in? - just to see if you have enough time
    hope this helps
    Thanks for your reply! im in year 12 so it's a bit of a rush now haha, think i may have left it all a bit too late. :// The volunteering place i'm applying for is to just help out around the hospice eg, cleaning, restocking cupboards etc. I havent done any work experience yet but i have one booked at a neonatal unit for 1 week in april as an observational placement.

(Original post by pandasandpens)
    Thanks for your reply! im in year 12 so it's a bit of a rush now haha, think i may have left it all a bit too late. :// The volunteering place i'm applying for is to just help out around the hospice eg, cleaning, restocking cupboards etc. I havent done any work experience yet but i have one booked at a neonatal unit for 1 week in april as an observational placement.
    Try and volunteer at a charity shop, if you dont get the placement you would like to, because i do and it will look good on your personal statement and you can say that you have learnt communication skills, working with customers and it will show that you are selfless because its a charity etc
    charity shops are much much easier to apply to and work in, because they respond pretty quick and most of the time are in need of volunteers
    i know it may be difficult, but try and get some work experience at a hospital or gp practise because you may need some medical work experience too - perhaps for the easter holidays
    you also do have the summer to try and squeeze some things in, so dont worry about it too much

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about volunteering with st John ambulance or the red cross?
    This would help massively as you learn first aid, people skills and what's involved in dealing with the public etc. You also will learn how to work as a team as well as on your own. And once you turn 18 you move in to the adult divisions where you are able to do a lot more and be out and about in the ambulance assisting at public duties.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.