Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Core 2 logarithms questions Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So these are the first two questions on my homework and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not I have done them right or if theres anything else I need to do? I've literally forgot everything about logs

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455562415.148830.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  126.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    teachers are getting lazy ...
    call that a homework ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    So these are the first two questions on my homework and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not I have done them right or if theres anything else I need to do? I've literally forgot everything about logs

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455562415.148830.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  126.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One log rule that you're missing is that \log_a a = 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    teachers are getting lazy ...
    call that a homework ...
    hahaha I wish that was just my homework These are just the first two questions but I wanted to make sure I was doing it right

ReputationRep:
    hahaha I wish that was just my homework These are just the first two questions but I wanted to make sure I was doing it right
    I was gonna say ...
    makes more sense now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    One log rule that you're missing is that \log_a a = 1
    Oh right, so would the answer to the first one just be 1 + 1/2 which would equal 3/2 ?

ReputationRep:
    Also, you're not quite getting the point of the second question. You can either note:

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}\log_2 \frac{1}{8} = \log_2 2^{-3} = -3 \log_2 2 = \cdots \end{equation*}

Or, with your method: \log_2 1 - \log_2 8 = \log_2 1 - \log_2 2^3 = \cdots

Note that \log_{\text{anything}} 1 = 0

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, so would the answer to the first one just be 1 + 1/2 which would equal 3/2 ?
    Yep! Another way of seeing that is that a^2 \times \sqrt{a} = a^2 \times a^{1/2} = a^{3/2}, so taking the logarithm of that is \log_a a^{3/2} = \frac{3}{2}. But your method is just as fine, I'm just providing a different perspective.

ReputationRep:
    for the second question log small 2 (big 8) means 2 to the power something = 8.
    and log small 2 (big 1) means 2 to the power something = 1

ReputationRep:
    Also, you're not quite getting the point of the second question. You can either note:

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}\log_2 \frac{1}{8} = \log_2 2^{-3} = -3 \log_2 2 = \cdots \end{equation*}

Or, with your method: \log_2 1 - \log_2 8 = \log_2 1 - \log_2 2^3 = \cdots

Note that \log_{\text{anything}} 1 = 0
    Yeah its been a while since i've done logs, so i've pretty much forgot all of the rules. For this question, could you just simply type log2(1/8) into a calculator and put whatever comes up as the answer?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its been a while since i've done logs, so i've pretty much forgot all of the rules. For this question, could you just simply type log2(1/8) into a calculator and put whatever comes up as the answer?
    Well, you could - but that would be cheating and you'd learn absolutely nothing. Why don't you google up the logarithm rules and learn them before attempting the homework? You can then check your answers to such questions by doing it manually, then by checking it with a calculator.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you could - but that would be cheating and you'd learn absolutely nothing. Why don't you google up the logarithm rules and learn them before attempting the homework? You can then check your answers to such questions by doing it manually, then by checking it with a calculator.
    Yep that will probably be a good idea. Btw how would you sketch a graph of y= logax ?

ReputationRep:
    Yep that will probably be a good idea. Btw how would you sketch a graph of y= logax ?
    I know that there will be a root at x=1, there's a vertical asymptote at x=0 where the function tends to negative infinity. I can tell that the function increases very rapidly in the interval from 0 to 1 and then slows down and increases rather slowly (i.e: decreasing gradient) after x=1, so that'll let me piece together a sketch of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.