Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does, I'm not sure mean, 'I'm not sure' or 'I'm trying to let you down gently'? Watch

Announcements

Went on a couple of dates/ sleepovers. I fudged things up by saying some intense things and freaked him out (it's been a while since I was ready to date...). He backed off, but was still up to going on a date last week heavily hinting if it was in public I was exhausted and just wanted to stay in bed (and didn't pick up on his hints) and watch a film and he'd agreed, then stood me up. so yeah our last date never happened. He apologised by text eventually but said he needed to clear his head. I thanked him for his apology but told him i'd rather he'd just cancelled/ been honest. Now in his last text.. he said he's not sure about things still, and he's not feeling great (possibly eluding to a mental health problem, i've noticed he has insomnia) and he's not sure it's fair to involve someone else with it.

I don't know if he's a. not sure and needs reassurance that I can handle his problems. or b. he is sure he doesn't want another date but wants to spare my feelings and that's why he's being excusey. I'm so confused what to reply. I also feel a bit like why do i even want him - he should be the one chasing me after cancelling/ doing a nice gesture to convince me to go another date, not cryptic texting! Help?

ReputationRep:
    I read through these threads and i get to the end and im like "well, i have no idea"

But here i go:

Him being not sure could be why hes not chasing you. If you want him still, ask him out for another public date. Take things easy, slow down perhaps, establish you like each other from public, low pressure dates and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I also feel a bit like why do i even want him - he should be the one chasing me after cancelling/ doing a nice gesture to convince me to go another date, not cryptic texting! Help?
    He's not going to do that if you've scared him off by being overly intense though. I would suggest pulling back, not making first moves like texts/calls or whatever, basically just chill out and show him you're not going to be a crazy intense bunny boiler. Let him make the moves if he wants to, being clingy is only going to push him further away when he's already indicated he doesn't like that

(Original post by Bern Herkins)
    I read through these threads and i get to the end and im like "well, i have no idea"

But here i go:

Him being not sure could be why hes not chasing you. If you want him still, ask him out for another public date. Take things easy, slow down perhaps, establish you like each other from public, low pressure dates and go from there.
    but surely that's being too forward as he's made it clear he needs space?

Shouldn't i wait for him to initiate?

(Original post by infairverona)
    He's not going to do that if you've scared him off by being overly intense though. I would suggest pulling back, not making first moves like texts/calls or whatever, basically just chill out and show him you're not going to be a crazy intense bunny boiler. Let him make the moves if he wants to, being clingy is only going to push him further away when he's already indicated he doesn't like that
    so are you saying don't reply to that last text and see if he texts again?

ReputationRep:
    but surely that's being too forward as he's made it clear he needs space?

Shouldn't i wait for him to initiate?
    If it were me, I would give him a week or two of little contact, *im not saying no contact, just polite conversation. Then i would ask if he wanted to do something low pressure like get ice cream or something.

ReputationRep:
    so are you saying don't reply to that last text and see if he texts again?
    I mean, I personally wouldn't reply. Him saying he doesn't want to involve someone else in whatever 'issues' he's got going on is either letting you down gently, or he just doesn't want to get you involved. Either way he's kind of hinting that you back off IMO. I wouldn't reply, and then see if he texts you again. If he doesn't, I would think he's letting you down gently. If he does text or asks why you haven't replied you can always just say you were giving him some space

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.