Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

French Psychologist moving to UK Watch

    • Thread Starter


    I am not sure on the requirements to practice psychology in the UK. My understanding is that it needs more than on the continent.

    Currently I practice clinical psychology in France, where my Masters 2 (which is a 5 year course from 18-22 years) suffices. If I want to expand it to hypnosis or other fields, I would need to do specialist courses.

    However I am thinking of coming to the UK for personal reasons, but am not sure on my prospects. Would I need to return to studying to be able to practice the same? From what I have read I need both permission by a government body, and would need to return to University to do a PHD for a few years.

    What I would like to know is, what can I practice in the UK with my French masters 2, and what would I need to do anything in addition to that.

    Is there any advise or helpful places to see any information on this?

    I don't know how individual countries/courses translate into the UK system, so can't say whether your Master's is sufficient.

    To practice as a Clinical Psychologist you need to complete the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy), for which you need to have a BPS accredited Psychology degree. If you qualified abroad you can apply to the BPS to have your current credentials accredited by them: http://www.bps.org.uk/what-we-do/mem...ember-cpsychol

    You are best of contacting the BPS directly, they will be able to give more specific advice. The BPS is our professional body and provide all the accreditation for courses. However, as a practicing Psychologist you have to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and they may have additional stipulations regarding non UK persons.

    Hello Babbles,

    Did you have any information as regards to your concern ?

    I would like to move to London and work as a psychologist myself.

    Best regards,

  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

    Quick links:

    Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.