Chemisathtics
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Alcohol X has the structure (CH3)2 C(OH)CH(CH3)2

Give the structure of, and name an isomer of 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene which is also formed in the reaction. Explain why two products are obtained

You can find this question if you just copy and paste the question on google, but does anyone know how to go about getting the answer?
RMNDK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chemisathtics)
Alcohol X has the structure (CH3)2 C(OH)CH(CH3)2

Give the structure of, and name an isomer of 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene which is also formed in the reaction. Explain why two products are obtained

You can find this question if you just copy and paste the question on google, but does anyone know how to go about getting the answer?
Well firstly is that the complete question?

For instance, is it asking to give the structure of Alcohol X or of 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene, or of something else?

And what reaction are we talking about that produces this isomeric compound?

I'm assuming a dehydration reaction since we're going from an alcohol to an alkene.

Draw the alcohol out. In a dehydration reaction we're removing the -OH group. But notice that once we do that, the carbon atom with that -OH group will now be only making three bonds. To fix this, we make a double bond with an adjacent carbon atom (and you have three pick from)

That double bond causes the chosen adjacent carbon atom to now make five bonds. To fix this, a hydrogen atom is removed. (See how the net effect is to remove a water molecule?)

One of the possible products is given in the question. That's formed if your adjacent carbon atom is no. 3.
i.e. (CH3)2 C(OH)CH(CH3)2 (in bold)

If you picked a different adjacent carbon atom, you may potentially get a different compound...
Chemisathtics
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
You've given me answers to other questions i was looking for, thanks so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.99%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (37)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.75%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.72%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads