Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is being vegan becoming a trend? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Among other things, yes. Puss is short for pussy, pus is an excretion.
    Puss lips suits him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Considering the size of the vegan and vegetarian movement, farmers are certainly breeding and killing fewer animals as a result of our collective action.
    They are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    The chicken I had from KFC could have had 3 mental breakdowns and a broken leg; I'd still eat it.
    #certified

ReputationRep:
    I am all for being vegan but I absolutely HATE it when people go vegan because they like the label

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    They are not.
    The sad thing is that the vegan movement isn't really stopping the amount of animals that are killed.
    Did you know global warming is mostly because of animal slaughtering?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RickmanAlways)
    The sad thing is that the vegan movement isn't really stopping the amount of animals that are killed.
    Did you know global warming is mostly because of animal slaughtering?
    Yeah I do know it (after all my name is GeologyMaths)... But, alas, global warming is an inevitable consequence of human civilisation

ReputationRep:
    Honestly most of the Vegetarians I've met aren't bad. I've met a few Peskatarians who are pretty cool too, a rare find it seems. However I've never met a nice or happy Vegan. They've always been pretentious pricks that tell me what to do and how I should feel.

I think it's definitely become a trend with it being a "good" diet to lose weight and with so many fit youtubers advocating for it. People won't stick it out for long because of how restrictive it is. I just wish that vegans and the like would stop telling people that they're evil, scaremongering young teens and all that poppycock, most of which is unproved and uncited. Respect people's decisions even if you don't like them. It's not your decision to make. Every time one vegan puts down a non-vegan it puts the people that see it off of becoming vegan. I've even seen vegans hating on vegetarians and calling them fake. It's insane. Some vegans give the rest a bad name and it doesn't endear people considering veganism to make the change.

At the end of the day, the majority of people follow our natural omnivore diet and that won't change.
    I know that the modern western diet isn't a healthy diet but I'm not going to tell someone how to live their life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celine--)
    but don't you think its unfair to criticize what humans have been doing for a long time? Isn't it a decision you make?
    I have read nearly all of the comments on this thread- likely not to reply, but i had to. I do not consume meat or milk, cheese etc. I have nothing againest meat eaters ( well morally i condemn it but i would not openly hate on someone- my bf is a very large meat eater, which as you can probably guess is hard sometimes.) Though this comment is only to the last part of yours, about the choice. Though everyone does have a choice to eat meat etc as it is so easily picked up in a supermarket, unlike what previous humans had to do in the past- which was to hunt, gutt etc the animal to be able to live, we now have many plant based options that allow us easily to live without the consumption of animals etc. Morally the choice is not really a choice because the "choice" we have takes away a life of an animal just for one meal. They do not want to die- and if you do watch such things like Earthlings (spelling may not be write.) you will see why for me it was so easy for me to stop eating meat etc. The choice effects another life, i don't really see that as a choice when the choice kills another being.

This is a overall comment to the thread not really aimed but i thought it fitted your comment, for the response.

God Bless

K.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes - have not been feeling well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    Yeah I do know it (after all my name is GeologyMaths)... But, alas, global warming is an inevitable consequence of human civilisation
    TL;DR - Climate change doesn't exist because science has proved it doesn't.

The earth's temperature hasn't increased in over 18 years. The earth's temperature is directly affected by the sun and sun spots.
    The increase in carbon dioxide is minimal and has not upset the general balance of the atmosphere.
    For the most part it is beneficial for ecosystems as it provides more nutrients for bacteria, plants and fungi. Trees convert the carbon dioxide into oxygen. We just need to stop cutting down those trees.

There is no correlation between temperature and carbon dioxide.
    An increase in carbon dioxide doesn't mean that the temperature will rise and visa versa. This is because our climate is very complex with so many different factors that could cause a change and most of the reflected energy from the atmosphere is actually absorbed into the ocean.

It's also difficult to determine what small changes may be due to natural causes as opposed to the greenhouse effect. Increased sun output for example. In fact the level of polar ice is actually increasing. The number of heat waves and storms has been decreasing.

It's no longer a scientifically proved theory. It's been disproved and all research and experimentation to prove it has either been non-conclusive or has failed. It's now just a tool being used by politicians. They spend our money to try and solve a problem that doesn't exist.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2...orrelation.htm
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...nce-no-warming
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/clarif...hannel-founder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NekoAngel13)
    TL;DR - Climate change doesn't exist because science has proved it doesn't.

The earth's temperature hasn't increased in over 18 years. The earth's temperature is directly affected by the sun and sun spots.
    The increase in carbon dioxide is minimal and has not upset the general balance of the atmosphere.
    For the most part it is beneficial for ecosystems as it provides more nutrients for bacteria, plants and fungi. Trees convert the carbon dioxide into oxygen. We just need to stop cutting down those trees.

There is no correlation between temperature and carbon dioxide.
    An increase in carbon dioxide doesn't mean that the temperature will rise and visa versa. This is because our climate is very complex with so many different factors that could cause a change and most of the reflected energy from the atmosphere is actually absorbed into the ocean.

It's also difficult to determine what small changes may be due to natural causes as opposed to the greenhouse effect. Increased sun output for example. In fact the level of polar ice is actually increasing. The number of heat waves and storms has been decreasing.

It's no longer a scientifically proved theory. It's been disproved and all research and experimentation to prove it has either been non-conclusive or has failed. It's now just a tool being used by politicians. They spend our money to try and solve a problem that doesn't exist.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2...orrelation.htm
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...nce-no-warming
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/clarif...hannel-founder
    ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    So females aren't humans? But if the demand falls, firms would just produce less meat and keep the price the same after a while, i think.
    I meant the particular meaning, "unbecoming delicacy or overrefinement" - if females are delicate to the point of ridicule then its just as bad, no?

Methinks you're just trying to be clever, but lo, thou art hoist :holmes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.