VP59 - Petition to introduce national service for the Long-term youth unemployed Watch

Poll: Do you support this petition?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (18)
37.5%
On the contrary, No (20)
41.67%
Abstain (10)
20.83%
This discussion is closed.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
VP59 - Petition to introduce national service for the Long-term youth unemployed
Petition to introduce national service for the Long-term youth unemployed
This petition calls for the Government to introduce national service for the long term youth unemployed.

The ONS stated that around 188,000 young people are and have been unemployed for at least 12 months, this petition calls for them to do national service for a period of 12 months. People between the ages of 18-25 and have been unemployed for at least 12 months constitute as Long term youth unemployed.

National service will consist of 12 months service to the following:

The Royal Air Force
The Royal Navy
The British Army
The Royal Marines
The NHS
Civil Service
And any other Government institution

Should the young person choose to serve any one of the armed forces they will have a choice between working in a combat role or a non combat role. The service will depend on the young person's qualifications though if they are minimal services will include such things as portering for the NHS and administrative roles.

The young people will be paid the minimum wage, and the budget for this will come out of the Department of work and pensions. It would cost around £3bn to implement, but the 12 months of work experience will help these young people to push on and get a higher paid job elsewhere or to carry on in their roles if they wish to and have been offered a full time permanent position.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Abstain. While I appreciate the sentiment, the petition still places too much emphasis on the armed forces for my liking.
balanced
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye, I consulted my friend who is doing an EQP on just this, and he has convinced me.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Who wrote this?
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye! I once suggested something very similar within the party but was too lazy to write a bill myself.
username1899909
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you please change my vote from Abstain to Aye please
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Can you please change my vote from Abstain to Aye please
I have removed one Abstention and added one Aye.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ayes to the right: 18
Noes to the left: 20
Abstain: 10

The Noes have it! The Noes have it. Unlock.

Turnout: 96%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise