Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

VP59 - Petition to introduce national service for the Long-term youth unemployed watch

• View Poll Results: Do you support this petition?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    37.50%
    On the contrary, No
    41.67%
    Abstain
    20.83%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    VP59 - Petition to introduce national service for the Long-term youth unemployed
    Petition to introduce national service for the Long-term youth unemployed
    This petition calls for the Government to introduce national service for the long term youth unemployed.

The ONS stated that around 188,000 young people are and have been unemployed for at least 12 months, this petition calls for them to do national service for a period of 12 months. People between the ages of 18-25 and have been unemployed for at least 12 months constitute as Long term youth unemployed.

National service will consist of 12 months service to the following:

The Royal Air Force
    The Royal Navy
    The British Army
    The Royal Marines
    The NHS
    Civil Service
    And any other Government institution

Should the young person choose to serve any one of the armed forces they will have a choice between working in a combat role or a non combat role. The service will depend on the young person's qualifications though if they are minimal services will include such things as portering for the NHS and administrative roles.

The young people will be paid the minimum wage, and the budget for this will come out of the Department of work and pensions. It would cost around £3bn to implement, but the 12 months of work experience will help these young people to push on and get a higher paid job elsewhere or to carry on in their roles if they wish to and have been offered a full time permanent position.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. While I appreciate the sentiment, the petition still places too much emphasis on the armed forces for my liking.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, I consulted my friend who is doing an EQP on just this, and he has convinced me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Who wrote this?

ReputationRep:
    Aye! I once suggested something very similar within the party but was too lazy to write a bill myself.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye

Can you please change my vote from Abstain to Aye please
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    Can you please change my vote from Abstain to Aye please
    I have removed one Abstention and added one Aye.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Ayes to the right: 18
    Noes to the left: 20
    Abstain: 10

The Noes have it! The Noes have it. Unlock.

Turnout: 96%

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.