The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
zazy
Tell me about it..I have physics synoptic on monday and chem is a definite requirement for me...so far managed revising unit 5 by studying 12 pages a night but can't find any time to revise the synoptic stuff......

Metal extraction seems a favourite from what I've seen.

Apparently the papers were too hard last year so they are making them slightly easier this year, yay.
Reply 21
kingpong
Metal extraction seems a favourite from what I've seen.

Apparently the papers were too hard last year so they are making them slightly easier this year, yay.

really?If so i will die of joy....
BTw, i have two questions that i couldn't find reliable answers for...
1-why are aluminium and silicon chloride insoluble in water?
2-why is sulphur dioxide in the gaseous state whereas sulphur trioxide is liquid?
Reply 22
zazy
really?If so i will die of joy....
BTw, i have two questions that i couldn't find reliable answers for...
1-why are aluminium and silicon chloride insoluble in water?
2-why is sulphur dioxide in the gaseous state whereas sulphur trioxide is liquid?

2-Sulphur trioxide can form 3 hydrogen bonds per molecule, so is going to be more stable and thus have a higher boiling point.
Reply 23
zazy
Tell me about it..I have physics synoptic on monday and chem is a definite requirement for me...so far managed revising unit 5 by studying 12 pages a night but can't find any time to revise the synoptic stuff......

i havent started to luk at 5 so im kinda dead!!! i need 2 do all the calculation and NMR now then i have 2 learnn all the mechanism! :*(
Reply 24
logically, for the synoptic parts they arnt guna ask hardly nefing from C1 as its too easy!! or C4, there will be some as its hard but they will assume most people will have just take it so will know it pretty well so there shouldnt be too m uch in it. i think its gota be C2 and C3 we should concentrate on!
i got C4 retake today-eeek! i suk at spectroscopy but i got an ok grade last time so its not the end of the world, jus helps with synoptic.
if people are worried bout C5, ive done my notes on them all and its not as bad as it first seems. there are only a few key ideas to know- cell potentials, gibbs and entropy, how shell splits=colour, catalysts arnt too bad. but u must concentrate of the colours and the variable colours you get with some when you add zinc and hcl!
there, thats it!
Reply 25
spali
logically, for the synoptic parts they arnt guna ask hardly nefing from C1 as its too easy!! or C4, there will be some as its hard but they will assume most people will have just take it so will know it pretty well so there shouldnt be too m uch in it. i think its gota be C2 and C3 we should concentrate on!
i got C4 retake today-eeek! i suk at spectroscopy but i got an ok grade last time so its not the end of the world, jus helps with synoptic.
if people are worried bout C5, ive done my notes on them all and its not as bad as it first seems. there are only a few key ideas to know- cell potentials, gibbs and entropy, how shell splits=colour, catalysts arnt too bad. but u must concentrate of the colours and the variable colours you get with some when you add zinc and hcl!
there, thats it!

Yeah C1 stuff seems relatively non-existant in c5, you shouldn't really have to revise it much anyways, it's that easy.

They seem to like to stick in some reactions of halides with sulphuric acid questions, so make sure you know the products and oxidising/reducing trends.
Reply 26
which mechanism do we know exactly 4 module 4plzzzz
Reply 27
tammypotato
which mechanism do we know exactly 4 module 4plzzzz

Errrr pretty much all of them???

Benzene mechanisms are easy electrophilic substitutions and they're a large proportion of what we need to know.
Reply 28
so why is Alcl3 insoluble then?
Reply 29
zazy
so why is Alcl3 insoluble then?

I thought it was :/, or at least it reacts with water, that's why you have to keep reaction conditions free of water.
Reply 30
kingpong
I thought it was :/, or at least it reacts with water, that's why you have to keep reaction conditions free of water.

but there was an actual question about it...was it because the ions aren'f fully seprated or something to that effect...?
Reply 31
zazy
but there was an actual question about it...was it because the ions aren'f fully seprated or something to that effect...?

Which paper/question?