Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B934 - School Meals Nutrition Bill 2016, The Hon. barnetlad MP
    School Meals Nutrition Bill 2016

A BILL TO
    Extend the Standards for School Food to all Schools in England

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. The Standards for School Food in England (hereinafter referred to as ‘Standards’), as published in January 2015 by the Government, shall apply to all schools in England.
    2. The exemptions for Academies and Free Schools established between 2010 and 2014 shall be repealed.
    3. The Standards shall be extended to fee-paying and other schools independent of local authority control.
    4. OFSTED shall consider adherence to the Standards in any inspection of and assessment of a school.

Title, Extent and Commencement of Bill
    5. This Bill shall be known as the School Meals Nutrition Bill 2016
    6. This Bill shall apply to England
    7. This Bill shall take effect from 1 September 2016

Notes
    The Schools Food Standards were originally introduced by the then Government between 2006 and 2009, and have been subsequently amended. There were exemptions for academies and free schools established between 2010 and 2014, though these schools were encouraged to follow the Standards.

This Bill applies them to all schools, regardless of governance, control or whether or not they are fee-paying.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. I'd sooner just abolish academies and free schools, but this is a good start.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, we should not have this governmental involvement concerning meals.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm on the fence leaning nay. As for 1.4, good luck enforcing in in independent schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, I support no measure to increase state control of independent schools who usually outshine state schools.

ReputationRep:
    What are the standards?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I completely agree with this bill. I like how it applies to 'all schools' as even lunches in public schools are not nutritious.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, I support no measure to increase state control of independent schools who usually outshine state schools.
    In regards to food maybe, but if you mean education, I think you'd find that there's not much difference.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I also do love the many bills we have that lack penalties for failure to follow the law.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    hmmmm, I think that 1.4 could make this a bit unpractical and there should be some form of punishment but overall I'm in favour.

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I also do love the many bills we have that lack penalties for failure to follow the law.
    ^agreed.

Nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I completely agree with this bill. I like how it applies to 'all schools' as even lunches in public schools are not nutritious.
    I'm pretty sure public schools like Eton have good lunches mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentMature)
    What are the standards?
    Here is a link to them

http://www.schoolfoodplan.com/wp-con...140911-V2C.pdf

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Being part of the OFSTED framework carries in itself a penalty in that a school can be judged and if failing, can be placed in special measures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    I'm pretty sure public schools like Eton have good lunches mate.
    Not all fee paying schools are like Eton. Some of them have pupils that don't put any part of their anatomy near a pig's head.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Here is a link to them

http://www.schoolfoodplan.com/wp-con...140911-V2C.pdf

Being part of the OFSTED framework carries in itself a penalty in that a school can be judged and if failing, can be placed in special measures.
    Not if they aren't subject to Ofsted examinations

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.