Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B934 - School Meals Nutrition Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If the Bill author puts in some sort of punishment that does not involve closing a school, it is an aye from me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Not all fee paying schools are like Eton. Some of them have pupils that don't put any part of their anatomy near a pig's head.
    Public schools are the prestigious fee-paying schools, which is why I doubted the claim that they have bad meals.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Public schools are the prestigious fee-paying schools, which is why I doubted the claim that they have bad meals.
    Then they will surely be completely unaffected by this, and can be taken out of the equation in deciding whether to vote in favour of this?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay for reasons already stated

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Thank you Barnet lad.

My only one comment would be that it says minimum of 1 vegetable at meal times (and one fruit), I think it should be 2 veg and 1 fruit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Then they will surely be completely unaffected by this, and can be taken out of the equation in deciding whether to vote in favour of this?
    I still do not like the idea of governmental involvement in this case.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    In regards to food maybe, but if you mean education, I think you'd find that there's not much difference.
    I disagree, the resources available in the private sector are in a much greater amount, the average for independent schools is higher, the connections independent schools give are not matched by state schools, and the top 1%, or 5% of independent schools is better than the top 1%, or 5% of state schools, while the bottom 1% of independent schools is not as bad as the bottom 1%, or 5% of state schools.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    As shadow secretary of state for Education I advice everyone to reject this bill. Those schools which are academies should not be told what to feed their pupils by the government.

A more productive way of tackling the obesity crises in schools is by focusing assemblies on the fact that if they continue guzzling coke and eating chips they will die very young. A scare story usually does the trick.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I do not accept the argument that some private schools have a poor quality of food served because private schools with a poor quality of food would either see the parents send their children to schools with packed lunches which is fine, or the school close as parents start sending their children to a better school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    B934 - School Meals Nutrition Bill 2016, The Hon. barnetlad MP
    School Meals Nutrition Bill 2016

A BILL TO
    Extend the Standards for School Food to all Schools in England

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. The Standards for School Food in England (hereinafter referred to as ‘Standards’), as published in January 2015 by the Government, shall apply to all schools in England.
    2. The exemptions for Academies and Free Schools established between 2010 and 2014 shall be repealed.
    3. The Standards shall be extended to fee-paying and other schools independent of local authority control.
    4. OFSTED shall consider adherence to the Standards in any inspection of and assessment of a school.

Title, Extent and Commencement of Bill
    5. This Bill shall be known as the School Meals Nutrition Bill 2016
    6. This Bill shall apply to England
    7. This Bill shall take effect from 1 September 2016

Notes
    The Schools Food Standards were originally introduced by the then Government between 2006 and 2009, and have been subsequently amended. There were exemptions for academies and free schools established between 2010 and 2014, though these schools were encouraged to follow the Standards.

This Bill applies them to all schools, regardless of governance, control or whether or not they are fee-paying.
    Why not? Its good for the very poorest in society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helfus)
    As shadow secretary of state for Education I advice everyone to reject this bill. Those schools which are academies should not be told what to feed their pupils by the government.
    Why? Or is it just the typical baseless Tory 'lololol small state is good' argument?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    This has entered cessation
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the Lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.