Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend is white and I'm a Muslim girl. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well she can marry him but she shouldn't be calling herself a muslim as it goes against her religion marrying a non muslim and i don't see her parents being pleased unless he converts.
    She can call herself whatever she wants. In Islam the only sin that takes you out of the religion is shirk. And as to her parents, she will have to decide whether she wants to sacrifice her life to make them happy or live her own life regardless of what they think of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyPearl)
    Well the more you spend time with a person, the more you will develop feelings for them. You can choose not to fall in love if there was some sort of boundaries set from the start. And there are plenty of fish in the sea but she can't get over him. She needs to be realistic. If he's not into her the way she's into him and her family are not buying the relationship, then there's a chance it won't work and it's a lose-lose situation.
    But there's no reason for her to want to do that precisely because she loves him and wants to be with him.

I believe if parents are paying the bills, rent ect then even though she may very well be an adult, she needs to respect their rules. If she doesn't like it then she can always get a job and move out to live independently.
    I'm afraid it isn't a question of what you believe, but rather one of UK law. She is an adult and thus can legally make her own decisions in all matters.

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    She can call herself whatever she wants. In Islam the only sin that takes you out of the religion is shirk. And as to her parents, she will have to decide whether she wants to sacrifice her life to make them happy or live her own life regardless of what they think of it.
    This is not true. Certainly not from an Islamic POV.

ReputationRep:
    Ex-Muslim here, for all the posts about "you'll run away and then you guys break up - then what will you do?"
    This depends on whether you actually believe in Islam, if you do i'd assume you'll end up regretting it and feeling very guilty about the whole situation. However, if you don't then whatever happens i'd say go for it because then you're not leaving for your boyfriend but your basic beliefs.
    Leaving Islam was the best thing i ever did, it's not easy but if you don't believe in it you need to leave as soon as you can. Best of luck to you x

ReputationRep:
    you're saying this as if every muslim man abuses his wife, and whichever muslim man she marries will cheat on her and make her life hell. for ****s sake grow up.
    are you dense?

his point was that what is important is the person she is marrying, not their race or religion (e.g. she could live a much happier life with a kind, understanding white atheist than an abusive and controlling black Muslim).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Nice to see that some parents still think that their own beliefs are more important than their child's happiness.
    These people do not deserve to have children.

My parents would die for me, and I can already say that I would die for my children. That is called unconditional love, and, as far as I am concerned, is a necessary condition for being good parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PFO 24/7)
    are you dense?

his point was that what is important is the person she is marrying, not their race or religion (e.g. she could live a much happier life with a kind, understanding white atheist than an abusive and controlling black Muslim).
    Exactly, obviously there are kind, understanding people who are Black and Muslim, but you have to be naive to think that White non-Muslims are all badly behaved men who will cheat and leave you or that all Muslim guys are kind, virtuous heroes who stand by their women.

ReputationRep:
    This is not true. Certainly not from an Islamic POV.
    Quran 4:48 "Indeed, Allah does not forgive association with Him, but He forgives what is less than that for whom He wills. And he who associates others with Allah has certainly fabricated a tremendous sin."

What other sin does Allah not forgive a Muslim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al-Quds 4 dayz)
    It's like that Chris Rock standup

'Well I look after my kids'

'You're supposed to look after your kids :rolleyes:'
    prsom

this thread is really depressing :erm:

(Original post by redleader1)
    How is it a sin if she gets a nikka done at a mosque? If the man reverts that isPosted from TSR Mobile
    i didnt say that was, thats completely halal, i was on about if she runs away and marries him while he is non muslim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PFO 24/7)
    prsom

this thread is really depressing :erm:

It's a total lack of anything which resembles a sense of humanity.

People literally die for their children, so it's strange to hear of people who are more bothered by strangers, wider family judging you or thinking less of you, than the wellbeing of the people you created.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyPearl)
    You know there is a saying that goes you see Muslims in the east but no Islam and you see Islam in the west but no Muslims. I think it's very true. Islam, like all the other religions is a spiritual one, you find peace and solace in it, but people are so attached to their conservative and backward cultures/ideologies that they forget islam came to make their life easier. People are so accustomed to their cultural upbringing they just pick and choose from the religion to suit them and when that happens all the time, naturally without a second thought, you would think that these practices stem from Islam.
    Are you Muslim yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Just because he's married doesn't mean he's not nice to her you're going off what she says from her perspective which is clearly bias since she is in love with her boyfriend

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quran 4:48 "Indeed, Allah does not forgive association with Him, but He forgives what is less than that for whom He wills. And he who associates others with Allah has certainly fabricated a tremendous sin."

What other sin does Allah not forgive a Muslim?
    You're taking the verse to mean that Allah will automatically forgive every other sin for everyone. It's not the case. Read the verse properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al-Quds 4 dayz)
    It's a total lack of anything which resembles a sense of humanity.

People literally die for their children, so it's strange to hear of people who are more bothered by strangers, wider family judging you or thinking less of you, than the wellbeing of the people you created.
    what really gets to me is when parents even take into account how their 'community' or '(wider) family' will think/react.

as if that is something that should even be contemplated when the happiness of your children is at stake.

i am so lucky my parents love me unconditionally and would never let anyone else's opinion on my life choices affect how they see me or their support for me.

ReputationRep:
    You're taking the verse to mean that Allah will automatically forgive every other sin for everyone. It's not the case. Read the verse properly.
    No, I'm not. But that verse says that that particular sin will never be forgivable. Now, is there any other sin which also falls under that category?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all... Here goes.

I'm in love with a non- Muslim, he's white and I cannot see myself with anyone but him.

My parents:
    My mum is a strict Muslim and prays five times a day, I can't talk to her about anything and I don't really have much of a personal relationship with my mum as she's very quick to judge and doesn't like listening.

My dad married again in Pakistan but is still married to my mum and she seems to be okay with it but I'm totally against it. He's always messing about and I know he does things that he's not supposed to be doing but when it comes to his daughters he becomes this strict hitler type of man and you can't actually talk to him either.

My older sister is the golden child and has done everything perfectly in life and has married a Muslim guy and my parents think the sun shines out of her arse.

My younger sister is kind of like me but no attention is thrown at her because I'm always under the spotlight for " bad child "

Me: I'm 24, final year at uni, I like to go out and enjoy myself, I don't commit crimes and I just like to live my life... and my boyfriend is 31 and is a well established business man with great values and personality - except he isn't Muslim.

Long story short : I told my aunties about him and they seemed okay with it at the time until all hell broke loose and she told my mum. Mum said she would disown me if I ever went near him again and that she would die of shame if anyone else were to find out.
    ( my dad still doesn't know but I reckon he would flip out too.)

I had a massive argument with my aunties and I cut all extended family off because of their negativity and racist behaviour towards it all.

Till this day it's depressing me day by day as I'm being watched on my every move... And it's come to a point where I just want to run away and that's what il do... But that means I can't return ... Ever.

Has anyone felt this way before? What shall I do ?!
    is your bf is an atheist???
    someone told me that Muslims are allowed to marry either a Muslim, Christian or a Jewish
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Ignore their racist, negative crap. If he is who you love then religion shouldn't get in the way of that.
    10/10.

ReputationRep:
    Well she can marry him but she shouldn't be calling herself a muslim as it goes against her religion marrying a non muslim and i don't see her parents being pleased unless he converts.
    I've no doubt that certain prominent mullahs within certain recently-formed rogue states would, based upon their own interpretations of the Qur'an, hold that you shouldn't be calling yourself 'muslim' either.

ReputationRep:
    Watch out you don't end up face down in a river.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.