Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone aged 18-20 currently studying or going to study at OU? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm Gin and 19 and planning to start part time degree in business management at OU in Oct. Just wondering if there's anyone in my age group going to OU or if i'm the only young one here :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    im 22, doing the same course online but at essex

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and I'm planning to start an Open Degree in October

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see i'm not the only young one at OU

ReputationRep:
    18 and doing mathematics at OU (started feb)

ReputationRep:
    oh wow maths, i totally flopped it at AS level all that differentiation , integration and logarithms :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and currently in my first year of studying a BSc (Hons) Computing & IT and Statistics with The Open University full time. I started last October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinigamiGin)
    Hi i'm Gin and 19 and planning to start part time degree in business management at OU in Oct. Just wondering if there's anyone in my age group going to OU or if i'm the only young one here :cry2:
    I started my degree at 20 and I have one more year to go. I think you should go for it.

Think about your main reasons for joining the OU.

Also, don't be put off if you are the only young one as everyone has their own personal reasons for joining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrita142)

Also, don't be put off if you are the only young one as everyone has their own personal reasons for joining.
    very true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrita142)
    I started my degree at 20 and I have one more year to go. I think you should go for it.

Think about your main reasons for joining the OU.

Thank you, my main reasons are finances and work. I shall be starting business management this Oct.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an 18 year old American student, planning on studying a BA in Languages with the OU this year! I chose this route for quite obvious reasons, it's a lot cheaper than going to a physical university (especially here and in the UK as well). I am moving to the UK, most likely this summer, to join my BF. However I took a look at the schools over the last year and Found them to be pretty pricey as well, so OU is the best option for me, definitely. BTW: I am self funding, and onviously am not able to get funding, which is totally find with me, I'll be working full time. The tuition isn't expensive to the point where it's impossible to pay as you go , as are some USA universities, for example. But honestly, don't even worry about that, there are plenty of people that are younger than you, your age, or around our age!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _rainbow)
    I'm 21 and I'm planning to start an Open Degree in October
    oh wow maths, i totally flopped it at AS level all that differentiation , integration and logarithms
    (Original post by Alexa.Pereira)
    I'm an 18 year old American student, planning on studying a BA in Languages with the OU this year! I chose this route for quite obvious reasons, it's a lot cheaper than going to a physical university (especially here and in the UK as well). I am moving to the UK, most likely this summer, to join my BF. However I took a look at the schools over the last year and Found them to be pretty pricey as well, so OU is the best option for me, definitely. BTW: I am self funding, and onviously am not able to get funding, which is totally find with me, I'll be working full time. The tuition isn't expensive to the point where it's impossible to pay as you go , as are some USA universities, for example. But honestly, don't even worry about that, there are plenty of people that are younger than you, your age, or around our age!
    You only get funding to do one degree so make it worth while. Open Degree will not get you a good job and a better life. You need degree's that are recognised or have full accreditation by specific bodies. Just google statistics of the most employable degree subjects and degrees that give you the highest salaries.

Science degrees, Maths, Computer coding, Engineering and Law are the best ones. They may appear hard if not taught correctly at school, but if they are hard then you have to put the work in to get good at it, nobody is born naturally good at something. Hard work and hours in. Sciences are insightful, interesting and some times truly leave you amazed how and why systems work.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davidswift9)
    You only get funding to do one degree so make it worth while. Open Degree will not get you a good job and a better life. You need degree's that are recognised or have full accreditation by specific bodies. Just google statistics of the most employable degree subjects and degrees that give you the highest salaries.

Science degrees, Maths, Computer coding, Engineering and Law are the best ones. They may appear hard if not taught correctly at school, but if they are hard then you have to put the work in to get good at it, nobody is born naturally good at something. Hard work and hours in. Sciences are insightful, interesting and some times truly leave you amazed how and why systems work.
    The STEM police are in force.

ReputationRep:

I cannot get funding... I am an American student. I just stated that. I am fine without the funding, I'd rather pay as I go than tag along a bunch of debt all my life. I was just explaining my situation I didn't ask whether languages were going to get me a job or not, thanks for the insight.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot get funding... I am an American student. I just stated that. I am fine without the funding, I'd rather pay as I go than tag along a bunch of debt all my life. I was just explaining my situation I didn't ask whether languages were going to get me a job or not, thanks for the insight.
    Languages actually stack up pretty well. They're pretty much the only humanity that does, although philosophy isn't terrible either. Example: rank 8 here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...?frame=2282871

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Urist)
    Languages actually pretty well. They're pretty much the only humanity that does, although philosophy isn't terrible either. Example: rank 8 here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...?frame=2282871
    Yes I heard this as well, in the US I beleive its a shortage subject for teaching as is in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong!) Of course hard sciences and maths are in demand fields of study, but if we all enter them they will become flooded too just as many humanities are. Nursing for example would expectedly be an in demand subject but in many European countries (not sure about the UK) it no longer is, and is overwhelmed with people. So we can't really state all humanities, business/economic courses, and any not in the suggested criteria for example are flooded.

ReputationRep:

As good as science to law degrees are, they are not good enough alone. Experience is major contributor, without experience in that field it can be rather hard to find a job despite the degree. I mean lets be honest, who doesn't have a degree in today's society.Not that other degrees such as languages ect are bad as long as you have the experience and determination.

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck, interesting since most people want to go to the US for study rather than the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck, interesting since most people want to go to the US for study rather than the UK.
    Really? I can't imagine why, I mean I guess the uni life here is quite the party haha but the tuition turns me off A LOT haha to be honest I see it like you're paying to party for 4 years haha. Guess it's good for kids who don't have to worry about the cost and such but I have to fund uni myself, + I've always wanted to spend a couple years around Europe, for a change so why not try out a different route! Best of luck to all of you as well, really interesting people you all are!

ReputationRep:
    I tried to do the OU when I was 20 but I couldn't quite hack it, lack of motivation and whatnot. I'm 24 now, nearly finished my HND Admin and IT at college and considering doing the OU again afterwards to top it up to a Business degree, now that I've got a slightly better idea of what I'd like to do. I've already applied to go to physical unis, but I dunno if I can be bothered with the full time study thing any longer - I really miss having money and fancy getting my career started already, ha. The student social life has been very overrated for me, so don't worry, you're not necessarily missing much on that side of things :p:. I had a better social life going travelling and staying in hostels, which I'll hopefully be able to afford again when working full-time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.