Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I applied for uni in September and so far i've got all my offers (to do pharmacy), and everything was going great until a few days ago when it suddenly dawned on me just out of the blue that maybe this isn't the course I want to do.
    I am currently studying chemistry, geography and biology at A level, and in the past few weeks I've become increasingly aware that I am sort of losing interest in the idea of becoming a pharmacist, and this feeling has just got worse in the past few days, so much so that I just can't get the thought put of my head, and I can't even concentrate or study anymore! After a bit of research it seems to me that a scientific geography course would be a much better option for me (as it marries my favourite two subjects and would allow me to travel, something I aspire to do).
    I'm really confused at the moment and haven't the slightest idea of what to do, i'm just worried at what my parents would say after i've been going on about pharmacy to them for months and they've taken time off work to take me to all the interview days. I'm also worried that this may just be a phase that I'm going through, I don't want to throw away all the effort I put into applying and attending interview days, but if it's not I can't think of anything worse than dreading going to uni this september to do a course I don't want to do. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks guys and sorry for soinding so morbid, my head's just a bit all over the place at the minute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca29)
    Hi everyone! I applied for uni in September and so far i've got all my offers (to do pharmacy), and everything was going great until a few days ago when it suddenly dawned on me just out of the blue that maybe this isn't the course I want to do.
    I am currently studying chemistry, geography and biology at A level, and in the past few weeks I've become increasingly aware that I am sort of losing interest in the idea of becoming a pharmacist, and this feeling has just got worse in the past few days, so much so that I just can't get the thought put of my head, and I can't even concentrate or study anymore! After a bit of research it seems to me that a scientific geography course would be a much better option for me (as it marries my favourite two subjects and would allow me to travel, something I aspire to do).
    I'm really confused at the moment and haven't the slightest idea of what to do, i'm just worried at what my parents would say after i've been going on about pharmacy to them for months and they've taken time off work to take me to all the interview days. I'm also worried that this may just be a phase that I'm going through, I don't want to throw away all the effort I put into applying and attending interview days, but if it's not I can't think of anything worse than dreading going to uni this september to do a course I don't want to do. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks guys and sorry for soinding so morbid, my head's just a bit all over the place at the minute
    The most important thing is not to go off to university for a course you don't want to do and blow your one shot at student finance on something you won't complete. You have several options:
    1. Decline all your offers and enter Extra for a new course.
    2. Ask your offer unis to defer your offer for a year to give yourself time to think and, if necessary, reapply for something else. (You'll have to give up your deferred offers to do this, but it keeps them safe while you are thinking.)
    3. Contact your offer universities and ask if they will consider you for a change of course for September.

Of these three, option 2 is the least rushed and least likely to let you make a mess of choosing something new.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    CLR has given you great advice about your practical choices, so I wanted to respond to this bit of your post. I understand worrying about what your parents will say BUT it sounds like you have very supportive parents, and they will be understanding and not what you to be unhappy for three years. Telling them you're having doubts will be scary, but I bet they will want to help you figure out what to do for the best.

You could also point out it's much better to make sure the course is right for you now, than figuring it out in September, when you'll already be in debt.

Good Luck, whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for both of your kind replies and for laying out my options clearly, very much appreciated . I shall voice my comcerns to my parents and take it from there!

Many thanks to you both again your help has really been invaluable and means a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for both of your kind replies and for laying out my options clearly, very much appreciated . I shall voice my comcerns to my parents and take it from there!

Many thanks to you both again your help has really been invaluable and means a lot!
    You're welcome. Thanks for saying thanks - not everyone does!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.