Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have vacation schemes at a couple of different firms so am hoping to get a TC offer that way, but obviously want to increase my chances by applying separately for straight TCs in June/July. However, I am trying to plan a holiday in advance around this, and am worried about booking holiday dates which might clash with potential interviews!

Does anyone know when TC interviews typically take place? I am primarily looking at Slaughter and May as a direct application. I was hoping to take my holiday in the last two weeks of September, so would appreciate any input as to whether I am likely to be safe in doing so! I know their website says August but this may just be a general guideline.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds

ReputationRep:
    There's no getting away from it, they are over the summer! August, early September. You are likely to go through more than one assessment centre, then back for an IV.

The interviews are likely to be movable as well, so firms might move the dates.

Send recruitment an email and ask them. I have found them to be helpful.

The later the better for a holiday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    There's no getting away from it, they are over the summer! August, early September. You are likely to go through more than one assessment centre, then back for an IV.

The interviews are likely to be movable as well, so firms might move the dates.

Send recruitment an email and ask them. I have found them to be helpful.

The later the better for a holiday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your response! I will email the GR team today, just trying not to sound too presumptuous about whether I would get an interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legallyblonde72)
    I have vacation schemes at a couple of different firms so am hoping to get a TC offer that way, but obviously want to increase my chances by applying separately for straight TCs in June/July. However, I am trying to plan a holiday in advance around this, and am worried about booking holiday dates which might clash with potential interviews!

Does anyone know when TC interviews typically take place? I am primarily looking at Slaughter and May as a direct application. I was hoping to take my holiday in the last two weeks of September, so would appreciate any input as to whether I am likely to be safe in doing so! I know their website says August but this may just be a general guideline.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds
    If you're planning on applying to the likes of Slaughter and May, I wouldn't leave the applications until June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    If you're planning on applying to the likes of Slaughter and May, I wouldn't leave the applications until June.
    What exactly do you mean by 'the likes of'? If you mean the MC, Slaughter and May are the only firm who I don't have a VS with that I really want to apply to.

For Slaughter and May themselves, as far as I can tell they don't open until 1st June 2016? I might be wrong, but I have been going off of this:
    http://slaughterandmay.com/media/849...n-timeline.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Booking your holiday for the last two weeks of September is fine.

S&M will probably have interviews from late July - early September.(based on the last cycle)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike1994)
    Booking your holiday for the last two weeks of September is fine.

S&M will probably have interviews from late July - early September.(based on the last cycle)
    Brilliant - thank you! It's for a family wedding and I was going to skip it just in case (obviously hoping upon hope to get an interview), but hopefully I won't have to. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    What exactly do you mean by 'the likes of'? If you mean the MC, Slaughter and May are the only firm who I don't have a VS with that I really want to apply to.

For Slaughter and May themselves, as far as I can tell they don't open until 1st June 2016? I might be wrong, but I have been going off of this:
    http://slaughterandmay.com/media/849...n-timeline.pdf
    That diagram says they open(ed) 1 Oct.

By 'the likes of' I really mean 'any competitive City firm', but especially MC and SC firms. I would try to get your apps in by the end of March to give yourself the best chances.

ReputationRep:
    That diagram says they open(ed) 1 Oct.

By 'the likes of' I really mean 'any competitive City firm', but especially MC and SC firms. I would try to get your apps in by the end of March to give yourself the best chances.
    Perhaps I should clarify, I am a penultimate year law student, which means only the top half of that diagram applies and they open on 1st June 2016 as stated on the top right hand side. The bottom section where they did open on 1st Oct applies to non-law students only.

As far as I am aware, apart from those firms that have now moved their TC application dates forward (to whom I am not applying as I have VS there), applications for penultimate year law students still open on the 1st June at the majority of MC and SC firms.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I should clarify, I am a penultimate year law student, which means only the top half of that diagram applies and they open on 1st June 2016 as stated on the top right hand side. The bottom section where they did open on 1st Oct applies to non-law students only.

As far as I am aware, apart from those firms that have now moved their TC application dates forward (to whom I am not applying as I have VS there), applications for penultimate year law students still open on the 1st June at the majority of MC and SC firms.
    Thanks for clarifying your position - my bad.

I agree that your safest option is to shoot the GR team an email asking if you're safe to book your holiday for early Sept. Their recruitment manager is a lovely lady and I'm sure will be as helpful as she can. Be prepared in case they caveat their response, however.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for clarifying your position - my bad.

I agree that your safest option is to shoot the GR team an email asking if you're safe to book your holiday for early Sept. Their recruitment manager is a lovely lady and I'm sure will be as helpful as she can. Be prepared in case they caveat their response, however.
    No worries I think that's the best idea too - I've emailed them now!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.