Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have landed myself a new job, the only thing is they want me to start training the same week that I have exams at Uni. I asked the lady if it was possible if I could hold out for one more week to start the training, unfortunately they are the only dates available.

Will university let me do my exams at a later time in the day, or will I just have to fail them and hope I get to pass the resits in the summer? I'm really in a tricky situation here, the job is something that would put me in a good place for a future career as its within the same sector I am studying at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antones158)
    So I have landed myself a new job, the only thing is they want me to start training the same week that I have exams at Uni. I asked the lady if it was possible if I could hold out for one more week to start the training, unfortunately they are the only dates available.

Will university let me do my exams at a later time in the day, or will I just have to fail them and hope I get to pass the resits in the summer? I'm really in a tricky situation here, the job is something that would put me in a good place for a future career as its within the same sector I am studying at university.
    Ask your uni. You may be able to sit them during the resit period, but I'd expect them to be capped at 40%.

Any decent company will understand about uni exam periods if they're recruiting graduates. They sound a bit rubbish. I'd ditch the job, take the exams and hold out for a better company. There's no point taking a job which will rob you of a decent degree grade you've spent three years - and tens of thousands of pounds - working for.

ReputationRep:
    ditch the job, there will be other opportunities but getting 40% in all your exams which is what will happen if you resit them is not something you're going to come back from easily... ending up with a 2.2 or 3rd will hold you back much more

your uni will absolutely not rearrange your exams for you, I don't know if they can stop you resitting if you flat out don't show up for any of them or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antones158)

What job is this? I find it really surprising that they won't allow you to start a week later. Is it formal group training or something....?

Who has told you that there are no other training opportunities? Is it possible to get in contact with the person who will be your manager and let them know the situation? They might be able to resolve it internally.

Otherwise i personally would prioritise your exams and degree over the job. Like others have said, you don't want three years of hard work to go down the drain.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.