The Student Room Group

B, B, B Goal!

Id really like to achieve this in both my AS and A2 levels!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyfrewin01

Heya :h: is this meant to be in the grow your grades forum or just a general thread? :tongue:
Grow your grades, sorry I thiught thats where I'd put it :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by lucyfrewin01

You should be aiming higher. A level is not exactly a pinnacle of academic achievement. Apart from those just not capable - people should expect at least AAA.
Reply 4
Original post by chi_cygni
You should be aiming higher. A level is not exactly a pinnacle of academic achievement. Apart from those just not capable - people should expect at least AAA.

Most people do not reach triple A...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Andy98
Most people do not reach triple A...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. A combination of little work ethic and not being capable. Most people should reach AAA given effort.

You have those that really have no business doing them - and thirty years ago wouldn't have been allowed to because university was for the top 5% not the masses they try to let in these days. And you have those who aren't willing to put the effort in - a large fraction.

A level is an easy step in academics and too many just won't put the effort in - as this forum demonstrates with the comments you read.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
Heya :h: is this meant to be in the grow your grades forum or just a general thread? :tongue:

Think you missed a post :wink:

I know. A combination of little work ethic and not being capable. Most people should reach AAA given effort.

You have those that really have no business doing them - and thirty years ago wouldn't have been allowed to because university was for the top 5% not the masses they try to let in these days. And you have those who aren't willing to put the effort in - a large fraction.

A level is an easy step in academics and too many just won't put the effort in - as this forum demonstrates with the comments you read.

Meh, I can get into uni with 280 points so I don't really care tbh
Reply 7
Original post by Andy98
Think you missed a post :wink:

Meh, I can get into uni with 280 points so I don't really care tbh

Just the fact you state that in UCAS points speaks volumes as to the "university" you are talking about.

Let's face it - there are universities and there are "universities".
Reply 8
Just the fact you state that in UCAS points speaks volumes as to the "university" you are talking about.

Let's face it - there are universities and there are "universities".

:s-smilie:

Just like there are people, and there are egotists?
Reply 9
Original post by Andy98
:s-smilie:

Just like there are people, and there are egotists?

You mean elitists. No shame in that. Remember, years ago 5% went to university - now its in the 40 - 50% range. There aren't ten times more capable people these days - they just created loads of crap "universities" (often from the old polytechnics) that have such low entrance requirements a ham sandwich could get the requisite UCAS points. Universities should not be taking people with CDD and such grades at A level.
You mean elitists. No shame in that. Remember, years ago 5% went to university - now its in the 40 - 50% range. There aren't ten times more capable people these days - they just created loads of crap "universities" (often from the old polytechnics) that have such low entrance requirements a ham sandwich could get the requisite UCAS points. Universities should not be taking people with CDD and such grades at A level.

Do you feel threatened or something? What business is it to you who goes to uni and who doesn't? Stick with your 'proper' universities and live your own life :biggrin: I'm at a Russell Group and I'm 98% positive there will be people in "universities" that will end up in a better job than me. Just because I have good academic grades, doesn't mean I am a well rounded individual who will suit any job role.
Reply 11

What position in the league tables would start calling "crap"? Personally I don't give a **** about them, because I applied to the universities I applied to because I actually liked the uni - rather than chasing some reputation (could probably get into Oxbridge if I wanted to).
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Do you feel threatened or something? What business is it to you who goes to uni and who doesn't? Stick with your 'proper' universities and live your own life :biggrin: I'm at a Russell Group and I'm 98% positive there will be people in "universities" that will end up in a better job than me. Just because I have good academic grades, doesn't mean I am a well rounded individual who will suit any job role.

It seems you feel threatened. The first priority, outside of vocational subjects like medicine, of university education is not a job. Or it shouldn't be.
Original post by Andy98
What position in the league tables would start calling "crap"? Personally I don't give a **** about them, because I applied to the universities I applied to because I actually liked the uni - rather than chasing some reputation (could probably get into Oxbridge if I wanted to).

Get a life kid. 30,000+ posts in less than 3 years?????

That is an embarrassment.

As for crap - anything below York, Sheffield, Swansea, Sussex etc.
Reply 14
Get a life kid. 30,000+ posts in less than 3 years?????

That is an embarrassment.

As for crap - anything below York, Sheffield, Swansea, Sussex etc.

I was talking about Sheffield in my first response to you....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either they're a troll or very up their own backside. Hopefully the first.
Reply 16
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Either they're a troll or very up their own backside. Hopefully the first.

Probably both

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

I was reading this and saw you said 280 UCAS points and now you mention the University of Sheffield. What course is that? I have a relative and their offer from Sheffield is for AAA which is 360 UCAS points. 280 is down at BBC level.
Reply 18
Original post by old_maths_guy
I was reading this and saw you said 280 UCAS points and now you mention the University of Sheffield. What course is that? I have a relative and their offer from Sheffield is for AAA which is 360 UCAS points. 280 is down at BBC level.

Comp sci - might be 300 now I'm thinking about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Comp sci - might be 300 now I'm thinking about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

My nephew has applied for Computer Science at Sheffield and he was told AAB for the B.Sc (maths has to be an A) and AAA for the MComp.

That is why I posted on this thread since I wouldn't think a single department at Sheffield would make a sub 360 point offer.

You might want to check.

Quick Reply

Latest