The Student Room Group

Durham, manchester or Exeter for English Literature, which University?

I have offers from each of these unis and am really torn. Durham was where I always wanted to go, I absolutely love its course and it obviously has a great reputation but its exam heavy rather than coursework and I wasn't keen on it on the open day even though I haven't visited the college I have been allocated- Grey. Exeter also had a great course, very flexible and I love the place but its a very modern building and I had my heart set on an older one. I haven't visited Manchester but liked the course and it seems to be a lot bigger and better for night life? But has a lesser reputation for the subject than the other two...any opinions?
I will assume that you have looked at the module options you would have access to for each course and found them comparable. I think that in the end most people should go with their gut feel as we make decisions based on so many things that we are not always aware of. If you just want a personal opinion, I would choose Exeter (I did apply there though so I'm biased). I have never felt very positive about Durham (for no good reason I should add) and would hate to live in Manchester (again, personal preference). Ask yourself where you think you would be happier for the next three years?

Also, take a look around each university's forum - found here.
I'd personally snap up Durham from the academic/tradition side of life. Also the English department in Durham is one of the best departments at a good university.

Durham & Exeter both have a reputation of being rather "rah" so manchester is probably a bit more down-to-earth. Also, Exe and Durham are opposite sides of the country, so that might be a factor in getting home and out and about.

Best of luck.

SS
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Supersaps
I'd personally snap up Durham from the academic/tradition side of life. Also the English department in Durham is one of the best departments a good university.

Durham & Exeter both have a reputation of being rather "rah" so manchester is probably a bit more down-to-earth. Also, Exe and Durham are opposite sides of the country, so that might be a factor in getting home and out and about.

Best of luck.

SS

All the universities that are in the top quartile are quite "rah" since privately educated people tend to do better and get into them. Manchester is full of them as well, unless you were talking about Man Met lol.
Original post by 0123456543210
All the universities that are in the top quartile are quite "rah" since privately educated people tend to do better and get into them. Manchester is full of them as well, unless you were talking about Man Met lol.

Fair point.

At least from this table http://www.hexjam.com/uk/student/posh-university-league-which-uni-s-the-poshest, 40% of the intake at Durham is from private schools whereas 20% is at Manks.

SS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending