Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official St. Hild & St. Bede college thread 2016 Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi my names Aaron, and I'm going to be studying maths

ReputationRep:
    chloeabeki here's the thread!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm going to be studying Chemistry!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am going to do Combined Honours in Social Sciences (probably History and Sociology)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be swinging by the college to take a look on Tuesday. Gonna take some photos. Anything you else you folks want me to find out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    I'm going to be swinging by the college to take a look on Tuesday. Gonna take some photos. Anything you else you folks want me to find out?
    Do we have to bring things for our beds e.g duvet, sheet, pillow...? Could you take pictures of the rooms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    Question! Is the college just one building? I haven't visited hild-bede yet. On google maps it shows the lovely old building (pictured above) and then a rather strange block. Just wondered whether we'd be living in the actual building or not?
    Yes, the building in the photo on the original post is accommodation. It's modern inside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floraharai)
    Do we have to bring things for our beds e.g duvet, sheet, pillow...? Could you take pictures of the rooms?
    I will do my best. I'll see if I can make a friend and find someone confident/tidy enough for me to take a photo of their bedroom.

I'm not sure how well this is going to go.

ReputationRep:
    Could you find out roughly how many people sharing a block of bathroom facilities please- like how many showers to how many people etc thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Rumour has it that Hild Bede only has one 'pretty' building! Please do confirm whether this is true or not haha

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone need to move out at the end of each term? Or does the let continue through holidays for everyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AunAb)
    Rumour has it that Hild Bede only has one 'pretty' building! Please do confirm whether this is true or not haha
    CONFIRMED. Fortunately, it's the main building.

The rest have been built up around it to cater for an expanding college. It's fairly practical and it's across 16 acres of land so there's plenty of greenery to go around.

I was really impressed by the fact they have 3 gyms. One is a well-stocked weights room with some cardio equipment, the other two are sports gyms for archery, martial arts, fitness classes that sort of thing.

Just to clarify, I actually visited today as I was passing through Durham but I'm going back for more of a formal visit on Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    CONFIRMED. Fortunately, it's the main building.

The rest have been built up around it to cater for an expanding college. It's fairly practical and it's across 16 acres of land so there's plenty of greenery to go around.

I was really impressed by the fact they have 3 gyms. One is a well-stocked weights room with some cardio equipment, the other two are sports gyms for archery, martial arts, fitness classes that sort of thing.

Just to clarify, I actually visited today as I was passing through Durham but I'm going back for more of a formal visit on Tuesday.
    What you're doing is very kind! I have a friend at Durham who claims that it's almost like a ghetto, bar the main building! Is this, in your opinion an over exaggeration? Forgive me for my questions, but is the college overall good on the eye?!

ReputationRep:
    Ghetto is definitely an exaggeration. It's an old college right by the river with plenty of trees and greenery. The main building is lovely and most of the other buildings are normal 70/80s style buildings. That is, not particularly pretty but functional.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm going to be studying History! Anybody applied for the post-offer open days?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all. My name is Liam, I am going to be doing maths at St hild and St bede. quick question. Do people at the college call themselves the Hildebeests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam Riordan)
    Hello all. My name is Liam, I am going to be doing maths at St hild and St bede. quick question. Do people at the college call themselves the Hildebeests.
    Maths also😄 I don't care if they do, that is an awesome nickname😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronLee)
    Maths also😄 I don't care if they do, that is an awesome nickname😂😂
    wahey. If they haven't got it already I'm going to try introducing it. Can only end well

ReputationRep:
    Ok, visited yesterday! Loved it. The town has got such a vibrant university feel with so much history too. It's somewhat hilly!

Here's the big one:

I spoke with my (Comp Sci) admissions tutor and she mentioned that part of the first year, you get to choose an elective module that is outside of your degree to study. So that might be a WWII module or a particle physics module or a sports nutrition module or a language etc. So, start thinking now about what else you might want to study for a term or so!

(Original post by eleanor27)
    Could you find out roughly how many people sharing a block of bathroom facilities please- like how many showers to how many people etc thank you!
    6-8 people share ablution facilities. The kitchens have slightly more people sharing them.

Hildebeasts, unite!

SS

ReputationRep:
    Ok, visited yesterday! Loved it. The town has got such a vibrant university feel with so much history too. It's somewhat hilly!

Here's the big one:

I spoke with my (Comp Sci) admissions tutor and she mentioned that part of the first year, you get to choose an elective module that is outside of your degree to study. So that might be a WWII module or a particle physics module or a sports nutrition module or a language etc. So, start thinking now about what else you might want to study for a term or so!

6-8 people share ablution facilities. The kitchens have slightly more people sharing them.

Hildebeasts, unite!

SS
    Did you get any pics?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.