Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Ok, visited yesterday! Loved it. The town has got such a vibrant university feel with so much history too. It's somewhat hilly!

Here's the big one:

I spoke with my (Comp Sci) admissions tutor and she mentioned that part of the first year, you get to choose an elective module that is outside of your degree to study. So that might be a WWII module or a particle physics module or a sports nutrition module or a language etc. So, start thinking now about what else you might want to study for a term or so!

6-8 people share ablution facilities. The kitchens have slightly more people sharing them.

Hildebeasts, unite!

SS
    So the elective module can be any first year module (within reason) or is it from a select amount?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronLee)
    So the elective module can be any first year module (within reason) or is it from a select amount?
    Any module as long as it doesn't clash with your timetable and that you have the prerequisite grades for the course the module is from (e.g. needing an A at A-level maths to do a maths module)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Josephine Butler but was allocated here It looks lovely in all the photos!

I'm going to be studying Law :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    I applied to Josephine Butler but was allocated here It looks lovely in all the photos!

I'm going to be studying Law :awesome:
    You clever thing.

I had a wander through the law building yesterday, it's really nice. Great facilities. Lots of the other departments use the lecture halls there because they're so good.

Comp Sci and Engineering buildings are fairly modern too. Some of the buildings on the science site (Chemical engineering?) are like 1970s boring rectangles, though. I think all the money for the engi departments must go into fancy equipment. In law you only have to have crusty textbooks, so you can spend the money on a new building.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You clever thing.

I had a wander through the law building yesterday, it's really nice. Great facilities. Lots of the other departments use the lecture halls there because they're so good.

Comp Sci and Engineering buildings are fairly modern too. Some of the buildings on the science site (Chemical engineering?) are like 1970s boring rectangles, though. I think all the money for the engi departments must go into fancy equipment. In law you only have to have crusty textbooks, so you can spend the money on a new building.
    When I went on the open day the Law facility looked so nice :awesome:

There's going to be so many textbooks :emo:

I just booked my post offer visit day :excited:

ReputationRep:
    When I went on the open day the Law facility looked so nice :awesome:

There's going to be so many textbooks :emo:

I just booked my post offer visit day :excited:
    Were all the talks and events still available?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithy-Smiths)
    Were all the talks and events still available?
    The residential itself was only available on one of the days and none of the main talks were bit unfair really as people got offers at different times

ReputationRep:
    Elenanyea

ReputationRep:
    The residential itself was only available on one of the days and none of the main talks were bit unfair really as people got offers at different times
    Well at least the residential was available! I was only able to book the talk! Which isn't TOO bad as it means I no longer have to miss two days of school!

ReputationRep:
    Revising my earlier comment, I've decided to go for the two days?! Anyone else attending the open day, but NOT sleeping over at the college?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Which days is everyone going for?

ReputationRep:
    Which days is everyone going for?
    I'm there Tuesday- just coming for the day what about you?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanor27)
    I'm there Tuesday- just coming for the day what about you?
    I'm doing college stuff on the Tuesday and law stuff on the Wednesday (staying over)

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing college stuff on the Tuesday and law stuff on the Wednesday (staying over)
    Wanted to stay over but have such a massive coursework deadline on Friday couldn't justify the time away from school I'm hoping to do a degree in Arabic and Spanish but the aim is to be a corporate lawyer! Turned down a gap year placement at Pinsent Masons (international corporate firm) for Durham so really hoping I like it! Never been to visit before!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, I can't get the time off work this week but let me know how you guys find it all!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanor27)
    Wanted to stay over but have such a massive coursework deadline on Friday couldn't justify the time away from school I'm hoping to do a degree in Arabic and Spanish but the aim is to be a corporate lawyer! Turned down a gap year placement at Pinsent Masons (international corporate firm) for Durham so really hoping I like it! Never been to visit before!!!!
    Oooh nice :awesome: I'm sure you'll love it, the open day was great

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be having dinner at the college on monday (i'm local so don't need to stop over) and going to the maths talks on the tuesday

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm Ashleigh, I'm 23 and going to be studying PGCE Primary education currently living in New Zealand and have been for a year so I haven't had chance to visit the college yet hoping to when I'm home in May. I was told it was close to the education campus so hopefully that will be useful!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't check as I live fairly close. I'm visiting the Comp Sci department in the afternoon then heading over to the college for dinner. You can rock up for dinner and just pay.
    I'm passing through Durham next week so I'll visit the college. Is there anything you recommend I see/do whilst I'm there?

ReputationRep:
    How long does it take to go to the science site?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.