Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I would like to know if I need to study an experiment on content analysis like Cumberbatch and Gauntlett. Would I need to know the aim, method, procedure, results and conclusion? Because it is pretty hard to write everything from the study as it is heavy in content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gebigum)
    Hi! I would like to know if I need to study an experiment on content analysis like Cumberbatch and Gauntlett. Would I need to know the aim, method, procedure, results and conclusion? Because it is pretty hard to write everything from the study as it is heavy in content.
    i guess yes...
    if you doing an experiment you need to state everything like aim, procedure, conclusion, results :blah::blah::blah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    i guess yes...
    if you doing an experiment you need to state everything like aim, procedure, conclusion, results :blah::blah::blah:
    Alright, thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Is this A2?
    EDIT: as in not the reformed A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rileystringer1)
    Is this A2?
    EDIT: as in not the reformed A levels?
    Yes, the old specification(2008)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the old specification(2008)
    no you don't need to know the studies in detail that go with the research methods in issues and debates. you just need to be able to describe their results, like you might get a question asking you to describe a research method including a relevant study for 6 marks

ReputationRep:
    no you don't need to know the studies in detail that go with the research methods in issues and debates. you just need to be able to describe their results, like you might get a question asking you to describe a research method including a relevant study for 6 marks
    you do ;o
    "Describe and evaluate the following research methods and describe and evaluate one published study for each research method:" the spec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenfoot)
    you do ;o
    "Describe and evaluate the following research methods and describe and evaluate one published study for each research method:" the spec
    you don't actually need to know a 12 mark desc and eval for it though. I'd say 3 marks of desc, one strength and one weakness

ReputationRep:
    you don't actually need to know a 12 mark desc and eval for it though. I'd say 3 marks of desc, one strength and one weakness
    That's good to know. Although I'm not really sure how to describe the experiment as the procedure of the experiment is very long and the results have many numbers that I need to remember. Sorry about this.

That's good to know. Although I'm not really sure how to describe the experiment as the procedure of the experiment is very long and the results have many numbers that I need to remember. Sorry about this.
    What I've done is condensed it down to:

'Top 10 programmes watched by 10-15 year olds were watched over 3 month period. 256 programmes in totaly watched and 70% of these were soaps broadcasted before 9pm watershed. Analysis conducted included noting all scenes were drugs, alcohol and smoking were mentioned. 2,099 scenes noted.'

Results:

Scenes per hour:
    Alcohol =12
    Smoking = 3.4
    Drug related= 1.7

Main characters as:
    Drinkers = 37%
    Smokers = 4%

Overall, 84% of messages on alcohol were neutral.

Hope this helps? ( Just noted the procedure and results)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia.lega)

'Top 10 programmes watched by 10-15 year olds were watched over 3 month period. 256 programmes in totaly watched and 70% of these were soaps broadcasted before 9pm watershed. Analysis conducted included noting all scenes were drugs, alcohol and smoking were mentioned. 2,099 scenes noted.'

Results:

Scenes per hour:
    Alcohol =12
    Smoking = 3.4
    Drug related= 1.7

Main characters as:
    Drinkers = 37%
    Smokers = 4%

Thank you! This is really helpful!

ReputationRep:

Results:

Scenes per hour:
    Alcohol =12
    Smoking = 3.4
    Drug related= 1.7

Main characters as:
    Drinkers = 37%
    Smokers = 4%

Considering the description for the "relevant study" can only be worth 2 marks, that's a lot of info

It doesn't specify in the spec how much detail you need to put into the study just "describe and evaluate" but considering it's the last unit 4 exam paper using this syllabus they can throw anything at you so it's best to be prepared

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't specify in the spec how much detail you need to put into the study just "describe and evaluate" but considering it's the last unit 4 exam paper using this syllabus they can throw anything at you so it's best to be prepared
    Fair enough, each to their own no? But personally I'd say there is already a ridiculous amount of content to remember, without making more work for yourself. They will only ask about a "relevant study" in a question about a research method, so even if it was a 12 marker (the 18 marker is actually a 12 marker too), it would be describe and evaluate for a research method (and maybe some compare which is in with the evaluation), so the description of the research method in with the "relevant study" could only possible be worth 3 marks, which is arguably 3 marks for each, or maximum 4 marks for the "relevant study", of which 2 marks must be for description and 2 for evaluation.

If you don't mind learning the extra content then fair enough, but bare in mind there are like 8+(?) research methods on the spec

Fair enough, each to their own no? But personally I'd say there is already a ridiculous amount of content to remember, without making more work for yourself. They will only ask about a "relevant study" in a question about a research method, so even if it was a 12 marker (the 18 marker is actually a 12 marker too), it would be describe and evaluate for a research method (and maybe some compare which is in with the evaluation), so the description of the research method in with the "relevant study" could only possible be worth 3 marks, which is arguably 3 marks for each, or maximum 4 marks for the "relevant study", of which 2 marks must be for description and 2 for evaluation.

If you don't mind learning the extra content then fair enough, but bare in mind there are like 8+(?) research methods on the spec

How much information would you condense it down to?

ReputationRep:
    How much information would you condense it down to?
    2 marks worth of description, my teacher said all you need to write down is the results, i.e. describe the research method then say: an example of a study that used this research method to investigate X is by X who found [insert one sentence summary of the results and a mini conclusion, or a two sentence summary of the results if the conclusion is included within it]

I don't know if you've been told by your teacher but the majority of candidates struggle with Unit 4 because if the time limit, you get an hour per 45-mark-part, so with issues and debates you need to be really really concise

ReputationRep:
    hi, does anyone know what topics come up in the 2015 unit 4 paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zmehmood395)
    Is it the Edexcel 2008 specification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zmehmood395)
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 6PS04_01_msc_20150812.pdf (384.0 KB, 1402 views)

ReputationRep:
    Is it the Edexcel 2008 specification?
    That's the only specification, the first exams for the new spec are in 2016

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.