Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite Novel? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    that is my favourite film of All time!! i mean it is a simple film, yet it has an everlasting message.

Frank Darabont didn't need to put any kind of outland-ish special effects to get us to love the film, the narration and the acting does that for him. Why didn't this movie win all seven Oscars?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Also I love Morgan Freeman, so yeah.. you know hahaha
    Yes! It is literally my favourite film as well! Although, as damn near perfect as it is, I do prefer the book ending. Have you read it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richci)
    Yes! It is literally my favourite film as well! Although, as damn near perfect as it is, I do prefer the book ending. Have you read it?
    yay!! *hi5*

no i haven't read the book?! it's by Stephan King right?

what's the ending like compared to the film? what did you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    Have a few favourites:

To Kill A Mockingbird
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Murder on the Orient Express
    The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    The Talented Mr Ripley
    Nest of Vipers
    Fever Pitch

ReputationRep:
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, I adore this book despite the really unsettling theme. The prose is absolutely glorious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mughushed)
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, I adore this book despite the really unsettling theme. The prose is absolutely glorious.
    Mine too! Though I never tell people in case they're stupid enough to think I'm a paedo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yay!! *hi5*

no i haven't read the book?! it's by Stephan King right?

what's the ending like compared to the film? what did you think of it?
    Yeah, I had it in a little collection called Different Seasons. All Stephen King. The ending is exactly the same in the film as it is in the book, the 'I Hope' talk that Red gives?

Except in the book that is literally how it ends. We never know if they do meet back up and that mystery and open endedness is absolutely amazing in my opinion. It's so emotional given the story and context. Way better than the standard happy ending the film gave (as glorious as it is.)

There are also a few key differences, from memory as I've not read it in a while, there are actually several wardens that come and go in the book and Andy even shares a cell for a short time. It's 100% worth a look and as a novella will take you no time to get through.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I had it in a little collection called Different Seasons. All Stephen King. The ending is exactly the same in the film as it is in the book, the 'I Hope' talk that Red gives?

Except in the book that is literally how it ends. We never know if they do meet back up and that mystery and open endedness is absolutely amazing in my opinion. It's so emotional given the story and context. Way better than the standard happy ending the film gave (as glorious as it is.)

There are also a few key differences, from memory as I've not read it in a while, there are actually several wardens that come and go in the book and Andy even shares a cell for a short time. It's 100% worth a look and as a novella will take you no time to get through.
    ahh okay i see, yeah i know what you're talking about, it's the last monologue that Red gives!! My favourite part of the film!

so he leaves the book on a cliffhanger? So we don't know if they actually meet or not? that's interesting actually! yeah you're right, they always make the films have a happy ending!

several wardens? there's only one in the Film isn't there?

i'll read the book!!!! i'll take it from the library today!!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justag)
    Mine too! Though I never tell people in case they're stupid enough to think I'm a paedo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aw, yay! And same here, I always have to clarify i don't actually agree with what happens in the book (but really that should be a given)

ReputationRep:
    ahh okay i see, yeah i know what you're talking about, it's the last monologue that Red gives!! My favourite part of the film!

so he leaves the book on a cliffhanger? So we don't know if they actually meet or not? that's interesting actually! yeah you're right, they always make the films have a happy ending!

several wardens? there's only one in the Film isn't there?

i'll read the book!!!! i'll take it from the library today!!! :yep:
    Yes, it's SO good isn't it! The whole book literally ends on 'I Hope'.

I actually really liked the open endedness of the book. It matched the whole 'hope' theme anyways, instead of paying off which is nice but final, it leaves you with a nice fuzzy warm hopefulness haha!

Also yeah, just one Warden in the film but the book sees quite a few I think. It's nice because it explains Andy's involvement and such. I'm excited for you to read it haha. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Let me know what you think!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's SO good isn't it! The whole book literally ends on 'I Hope'.

I actually really liked the open endedness of the book. It matched the whole 'hope' theme anyways, instead of paying off which is nice but final, it leaves you with a nice fuzzy warm hopefulness haha!

Also yeah, just one Warden in the film but the book sees quite a few I think. It's nice because it explains Andy's involvement and such. I'm excited for you to read it haha. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Let me know what you think!
    yeah it is does it actually?!

hmm yeah i know exactly what you mean by the warm fuzzy feeling :yep: I love it when a book does that!!!

ahh okay i see,that's quite interesting actually, why do you think they only used one warden in the film then?

I loaned the book today!!!! Can't wait to start reading it tonight!!!

I will let you know what i think, and then we shall discuss!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    I'm sure this already exists somewhere, but hey ho!

My favourite has to be Brideshead Revisited. I adore that book!

So what is your favourite novel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Has to be a song of Ice and fire book series by George rr martin. Its sooooooo good. Out of the books series I would choose a storm of swordd as my favourite.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it is does it actually?!

hmm yeah i know exactly what you mean by the warm fuzzy feeling :yep: I love it when a book does that!!!

ahh okay i see,that's quite interesting actually, why do you think they only used one warden in the film then?

I loaned the book today!!!! Can't wait to start reading it tonight!!!

I will let you know what i think, and then we shall discuss!! :yep:
    Yes! easily one of the best book endings I've ever read. I think they only used one warden in the film so they could really paint his picture, with the restricted view time... They REALLY had to put forward how much of a hard ass he was, the introduction to him when Andy enters the prison was prime real estate for establishing that. I guess stretching the timeline out and including all the wardens and even the room mate probably would have taken away from the time we otherwise had working on the relationships between all of the characters. Either way, I kinda like that they're different as it's more of an excuse to love both for different reasons!

NICE! I am excited to see what you think, I hope you enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    50 shades of grey

Pride and Prejudice

ReputationRep:
    Yes! easily one of the best book endings I've ever read. I think they only used one warden in the film so they could really paint his picture, with the restricted view time... They REALLY had to put forward how much of a hard ass he was, the introduction to him when Andy enters the prison was prime real estate for establishing that. I guess stretching the timeline out and including all the wardens and even the room mate probably would have taken away from the time we otherwise had working on the relationships between all of the characters. Either way, I kinda like that they're different as it's more of an excuse to love both for different reasons!

NICE! I am excited to see what you think, I hope you enjoy it.

Really?
    I've read the first 2 Chapters last night, and i'm hooked already!! (i knew i would be anyway!!)

ahhh okay i see! i like the way they did that with the Wardens character, it was really well done!

:yep: i'll tell you how it went! Give me till Monday and i'd read it all

ReputationRep:
    Jane Eyre. So gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    oh my gosh! I forgot all about this book, I need to give it a re-read! I read it so long ago!
    Read this in year 9 and loved the first book but hated book 2 and 3 as it wasn't the same with thingy being killed that's why I loved the book but wasn't as hooked on the rest of the series.

ReputationRep:
    The Humans - Matt Haig
    I also really like most Michael Morpurgo books, especially Kensuke's Kingdom, Adolphus Tips and Shadow. I bloody love Shadow

ReputationRep:
    lord of the flies, dracula, the great gatsby, the yellow wallpaper, wide sargasso sea
    anddddd
    Harry Potter

I cant really choose lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Every Day by David Levithan at the mo

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.