Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Writing a Personal Statement for two different courses? Economics vs. Computer Sci. Watch

ReputationRep:
    1. Economics (LSE)
    2. Computer Sci. MSc Artificial Intelligence (Imperial)

Of course these are very different courses that encompass different fields of Mathematics. I kept my options open by studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computer Science. I would like to go into finance and both of these degrees would be useful for such a career. It's difficult to address both aspects in my personal statement strongly. Do you have any advice on applying to two different subject courses through UCAS?

Does anyone have experience with applying to different courses?
    Do you have any thoughts on which is a better choice of degree? - Which would you pick for a financial career?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstarAstarA)
    1. Economics (LSE)

Of course these are very different courses that encompass different fields of Mathematics. I kept my options open by studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computer Science. I would like to go into finance and both of these degrees would be useful for such a career. It's difficult to address both aspects in my personal statement strongly. Do you have any advice on applying to two different subject courses through UCAS?

Do you have any thoughts on which is a better choice of degree? - Which would you pick for a financial career?
    You can only have one PS. You really need to choose 1 course.

And do you mean MSci or MSc? MSc is postgraduate....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any advice on applying to two different subject courses through UCAS?
    I do. It is Don't apply for two widely disparate courses, especially when prestigious institutions are involved, and make your PS appropriate for just one subject. Unless you are just going through the year for the experience, of course.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    1. Economics (LSE)

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...nomics.aspx#Q3
    (Original post by LSE)
    The selectors are keen to know why you wish to study Economics, whether there are any aspects of particular interest to you, how it relates to your current academic programme and what additional reading or relevant experiences you have had which have led you to commit to this challenging degree programme.
    As there are three separate degree programmes available within the Economics Department at LSE, you should ensure you are aware of the differences between them, both when choosing your programme and subsequently making your application, adjusting the focus of your personal statement accordingly.
    http://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/impe...-Statement.pdf
    (Original post by Imperial)
    Remember: the person reading your statement is an academic who has devoted their life to a subject you claim to have an interest in. Therefore, the main focus of the statement should be your interest in the course and there should be plenty of relevant academic and/or vocational examples you can include to prove your interest.

If you have selected your 5 courses carefully, they should be the same or in similar subject areas

ReputationRep:
    write about computational finance and mathematics. those topics overlap economics and computer science.

some useful links:
    https://www.quantstart.com/articles#...implementation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comput...tional_finance
    http://www.tutorialspoint.com/r/

you could write about those topics in your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    write about computational finance and mathematics. those topics overlap economics and computer science.
    Don't be silly. You have ignored the points made above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Don't be silly. You have ignored the points made above.
    nope i'm just giving op the advice he asked for.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The point is, is that both the courses would be expecting the intro to say something along the lines of 'I am interested in economics/computer science because'. While there may be overlap (and that's not to say that either of those courses even cover the area you mentioned), the whole PS cannot be based around that, so it's not enough

ReputationRep:
    But ignoring the more important point which makes your advice harmful to him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.