Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I am currently 1st year at university unfortunately I could not find any flatmates for next year to live with. However there are properties that rent out separate rooms bill included for students, it all sounds great but I will have no control of who I will be living with. Has anyone done this before? Just renting a room instead of finding roommates to occupy the whole house.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in over 10 such houses and they are not always only for students. There is a risk that you won't like who you live with but as long as you have a reputable landlord they will act as a mediator for any disputes. It really isn't a big deal but will require some maturity on your part.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of living with people you don't know it's no more different than accommodation, as you go there knowing no one (usually). One of our house mates rented a room we had going spare and we all get on great.
    • Very Important Poster

Nobody can predict how its going to turn out.

1.Ask about the housemates beforehand and if possible meet them. You might be able to do this where thet tenants are sub letting. They might be ok but they could also be cliquey.

2. Alternatively it may just be a house with random peple in it and the LL is just concerned with renting and filling rooms. People may not all be students.

3. Consider renting a room in self catering accommodation. there are many private halls.

Consider the cost and quaity of the accommodation. See several places.

I would prefer 1 or 3. If you see enough placesit wil help you find soemthing that suits.

ReputationRep:
    The property I am looking at is from a university recommend site I hope that the house is for students. If this is the last resort I will contact the letting agency and see if they can contact the people who are renting the house. The university has sent out an email saying that there is no more spaces for other students except first year so I don't have any other option unfortunately. Anyway thanks everyone
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by (Brian))
    The property I am looking at is from a university recommend site I hope that the house is for students. If this is the last resort I will contact the letting agency and see if they can contact the people who are renting the house. The university has sent out an email saying that there is no more spaces for other students except first year so I don't have any other option unfortunately. Anyway thanks everyone
    If you rally wanted to get into hall then you could ask if thers a waiting list. Often a few first years will quit. For that to be realistic though if you rent elsewhere then you have to do so very short term and you probably have to commit to a year.

If its a student house you will probably get the smallest room or groundfloor front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (Brian))
    Hi there I am currently 1st year at university unfortunately I could not find any flatmates for next year to live with. However there are properties that rent out separate rooms bill included for students, it all sounds great but I will have no control of who I will be living with. Has anyone done this before? Just renting a room instead of finding roommates to occupy the whole house.
    just go in private halls and theyll pair you up with some other people to make up a flat, sounds less shady than this
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Justmoll28)
    just go in private halls and theyll pair you up with some other people to make up a flat, sounds less shady than this
    I would do this. There seem to be so many private halls these days.

The house thing isnt bad, but you could be walking into a clique and thats rubbish becayse you would never be equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I would do this. There seem to be so many private halls these days.

The house thing isnt bad, but you could be walking into a clique and thats rubbish becayse you would never be equal.
    no no no, if you go in as like one sole person, they pair you up into flats made up of other 'single' people too, at least my private halls do
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Justmoll28)
    no no no, if you go in as like one sole person, they pair you up into flats made up of other 'single' people too, at least my private halls do
    Not clear on my point. the house thing I meant his original ida of just finding a spare room in a house.

The pairing up sounds fine as everuone starts off on an equal footing.

ReputationRep:
    don't think we have private hall where I go but, there is something called a student village in my university however it is down a hill in town which is a trek to get to. We have a fb page to help people like me to find accommodation in our uni I am trying to get through to people right now, It is so stressful to get a house ,
    • Very Important Poster

How abpit finding some noticevoards where you cna advertise for others who are in the same posiyion then meet them over a drink to see who you get on with? once you find a few then renting will be easy. Bit like a dating game.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.