Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RAF: needs answering in the next 45 minutes! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have my medical today at 3pm and when it says to wear suitable clothing. Do I wear jeans and a shirt or do I wear my fitness clothing? Since it says there might be some exercises do to, I might have to do them in my underwear when I get unchanged or in my clothes before I do. Basically what do I wear
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    SOrry we couldn't help. What would you advise someone in your position to do for future reference?

ReputationRep:
    Soooo do I just wear my fitness clothing to be on the safe side? My advice would be to cover every last detail with what you must take to what is advised to wear on the day, and everything inbetween. I did prepare for this but one minor detail I forgot and it threw me off.

ReputationRep:
    A tracksuit will be fine. It's a medical, not your passing out parade.

ReputationRep:
    I wore a suit, so did others I saw on both occasions, they'll have you undress to your underwear regardless. Always good to make an effort and a good impression, you never know what might happen!

ReputationRep:
    Smart casual. If in doubt, always smart casual.

It's always better to be overdressed than under dressed.

But just as importantly;

RELAX. Chill the **** out. If this one tiny pretty insignificant thing has 'thrown you off' then you'll need a far tighter grip going forward. Things will change last minute, you won't always be prepared, people will try to catch you out. If you panic every time you'll never get by in life, let alone in a career in the forces.

So relax.

ReputationRep:
    If you mean Capita medical, I had mine in December and was fine in jeans and a jumper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Big help!. I don't usually panic this much, it's just I want to make sure it's all ok for when I go soon. How long does it take to find out if I pass or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Fellows)
    Thank you! Big help!. I don't usually panic this much, it's just I want to make sure it's all ok for when I go soon. How long does it take to find out if I pass or not?
    Does it matter?

You'll find out the result. Worrying that it hasn't come the minute you thought it should doesn't get you anywhere.

Seriously, relax. It's a long process, getting this stressed out before each stage will see you having a heart attack...

ReputationRep:
    I passed. I got told capita are really picky with the medical but my guy didn't seem to care less haha. Next stage! Onwards and upwards!

ReputationRep:
    I passed. I got told capita are really picky with the medical but my guy didn't seem to care less haha. Next stage! Onwards and upwards!
    Do you find out there and then if you pass the medical? Also how long was the wait between this and finding out your OASC (If you have already)?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the guy was quite relaxed about it all. Bit of a **** sometimes but overall, the assessment took about 20 minutes. No I didn't go for Officer, I've applied for Airman, but yes I did find out there and then that I passed but it's been a week now and they haven't emailed me about my PJFT. Apparently it's meant to take 72 hours to end over but they never do, and when it comes to booking your fitness test; your local AFCO get dates from the gym and offer you then instead of you booking it yourself. Hope it's helped!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the guy was quite relaxed about it all. Bit of a **** sometimes but overall, the assessment took about 20 minutes.
    I suggest you don't be this cocky as you go through the application process. He's a civvy doctor doing his job FFS - if you have a genuine complaint about his conduct then make it through the proper channels. Otherwise STFU.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.