Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can belief in God be rational? watch

• View Poll Results: Can belief in God be rational?
    Yes
    40.54%
    No
    59.46%

ReputationRep:
    Can a believer hold his faith rationally? I am not asking whether belief in God is rational. It's clear that it can be irrational. I am asking whether it is even possible for belief in God to be rational. In this sense, the question is basically a yes or no question. Either it is possible to believe in God rationally or it is not (thus belief in God is inherently irrational and all people who believe in God do so irrationally). There is no middle way.

Whaddya think? explain why, don't just assert that it can be/cannot be.

ReputationRep:
    You answered your own question. There is no defining argument.

ReputationRep:
    Anything supernatural (such as God, Gods, or a spiritual force) cannot be believed rationally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    You answered your own question. There is no defining argument.
    I didn't answer it at all. I don't know what you mean.

(Original post by FauxIntellectual)
    Can a believer hold his faith rationally? I am not asking whether belief in God is rational. It's clear that it can be irrational. I am asking whether it is even possible for belief in God to be rational. In this sense, the question is basically a yes or no question. Either it is possible to believe in God rationally or it is not (thus belief in God is inherently irrational and all people who believe in God do so irrationally). There is no middle way.

I don't think so (I agree with Keyhofi's comment) and the only religious person whom I've seen both insist and explain why he thinks that belief in his particular god is rational had to redefine the word 'rational' to make his point.

ReputationRep:

Hmm...

ReputationRep:

Yes because the concept of GOD is outside our understanding since we dont know anything omni everything thats knows all sees all etc. Coming from a muslim the reasons why GOD can be seen as rational is because we believe that the big bang was created however the particles that collided forming protons neutrons etc created the universe as we know it. Now the reason why its rational is because you need an ultimate cause because "causality" in defintion you cannot create or destroy energy nor can you create something from nothing" it simply is IRRATIONAL to think that. Therefore you need an ultimate creator to start every process and everything otherwise its impossible and irrational to say that we and the universe are here because particles and energy etc were created out of nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    Hmm...
    I only explained the implications of answering "No" to the question I asked. I said that if you say that belief in God can not be rational then you believe that everyone who believes in God is acting irrationally. You think all (no exceptions) believers hold their faith irrationally.

I didn't answer the question I posed at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I don't think so (I agree with Keyhofi's comment) and the only religious person whom I've seen both insist and explain why he thinks that belief in his particular god is rational had to redefine the word 'rational' to make his point.
    What is THE definition of rationality?

What is THE definition of rationality?
    A handy Google definition of the word rational: based on or in accordance with reason or logic.

At a stretch, reason and logic might get you as far as deism if you can bring yourself to view the design argument as remotely credible. Anyway, the point was that the person (Alister McGrath, if you're interested) totally redefined the word just so that he'd be able to say that Christianity is a rational faith (a contradiction in terms, if you ask me).

ReputationRep:

Which God?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Which God?
    God with a capital G usually refers to the Abrahamic God.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in alien gods ... is that rational?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I believe in alien gods ... is that rational?
    I don't know what "alien gods" even are. That was not the question though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what "alien gods" even are. That was not the question though.
    I am sorry to hear that.

ReputationRep:
    Belief in god has the possibility of being both or neither as it really depends on the opinion of one.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who believes in God, I wouldn't say that it was irrational. I would argue that in some way it is rational depending on how you percieve evidence. Many would use the Bible, others would simply use what has happened to them. All in all, it is rational because religion has existed almost as long as humans have been here. But just because it's rational doesnt mean everyone has to believe it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zexal42)
    Belief in god has the possibility of being both or neither as it really depends on the opinion of one.
    It can't be both. If belief in God can not be rational then there is no possibility of it being rational. It's inherently irrational and no person can believe in God rationally.

If belief in God can be rational, then some people can possibly believe in it rationally. That still leaves many other people who might believe in God irrationally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zexal42)

We can't really talk about rationality as being that subjective; because in that case pedophilia is rational to the opinion of a pedophile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanikaB)
    As someone who believes in God, I wouldn't say that it was irrational. I would argue that in some way it is rational depending on how you percieve evidence. Many would use the Bible, others would simply use what has happened to them. All in all, it is rational because religion has existed almost as long as humans have been here. But just because it's rational doesnt mean everyone has to believe it
    But you have to perceive evidence as the successful output of something that went through the rigors of the scientific method. It can't be any sort of evidence, otherwise there's much more reason to believe Harry Potter as holy literature or UFO abductions as true accounts.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Sorry Don't mean to sound belittling there, just couldn't think of anything else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.