The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Music 2015/2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kxjzh
Could anyone give an example of what this comparison question might be like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Compare the way Handel and Chopin present melody, harmony, rhythm, structure and instrumentation.

Or

Compare the way Handel and one other composer from area of study 1 present melody, harmony, rhythm, structure and instrumentation.
Best way to revise essays for each set work?
After learning the content, go on YouTube and listen to the pieces then randomly start picking sections to listen to. From those sections try and describe everything you hear (about melody, harmony etc).
I dunno how to revise essays
I just write them out over and over again
Reply 145
Original post by Rebecca-Joseph
Compare the way Handel and Chopin present melody, harmony, rhythm, structure and instrumentation.

Or

Compare the way Handel and one other composer from area of study 1 present melody, harmony, rhythm, structure and instrumentation.

Oh wow okay, thank you. I'll have to try that tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kxjzh
Yes, you can get more paper :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok good to know, thanks.

I've put together a last-minute prediction based on the one someone else did a year ago:

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 23.59.51.png

It's a bit silly even trying to predict but hey, it's a way to procrastinate.
Anyway I think Capercaillie is very likely to come up with something we haven't had for a while like Chopin or Bernstein (or a comparison). But I don't think they'll do Handel as well.
I know this is really late seeing at the exam is tomorrow but does anyone know approx. how many marks i need on the exam to get an A? I'm freaking out a bit at how many set works i'm still not very confident on!! And i have additional and further additional biology exams before the music exam tomorrow, oh goshhh!

I got 60/60 for my performances (A*) and 51/60 for my compositions (A?) Does this mean I've nearly got a C overall already seeing as coursework makes up 60% of our final grade?

Hoping that I can get a C on the exam and this boost it up to at least a B! I only need a C because I wanna do btec music next year as it's more performance based but i would still love to do really well in the exam because music meant to be my best subject hahaha.
Reply 148
Original post by EllaTobin
I know this is really late seeing at the exam is tomorrow but does anyone know approx. how many marks i need on the exam to get an A? I'm freaking out a bit at how many set works i'm still not very confident on!! And i have additional and further additional biology exams before the music exam tomorrow, oh goshhh!

I got 60/60 for my performances (A*) and 51/60 for my compositions (A?) Does this mean I've nearly got a C overall already seeing as coursework makes up 60% of our final grade?

Hoping that I can get a C on the exam and this boost it up to at least a B! I only need a C because I wanna do btec music next year as it's more performance based but i would still love to do really well in the exam because music meant to be my best subject hahaha.

Looked at last year's grade boundaries for you, if you wanted an A, then even a high C (48/80?) in the exam would get you there. If you wanted an A* however you'd need an A* in the exam, 70/80. Obviously this year's could be completely different. Probably best aiming for 55-60/80 if you want a solid A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hh5
Looked at last year's grade boundaries for you, if you wanted an A, then even a high C (48/80?) in the exam would get you there. If you wanted an A* however you'd need an A* in the exam, 70/80. Obviously this year's could be completely different. Probably best aiming for 55-60/80 if you want a solid A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay, that makes me feel a little bit more confident - at least i know i will be able to pass! thank you!
The cram begins - honestly, music is 1/8 music intuition and 7/8 memory games.
Original post by hh5

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall if I have 51/60 (A) for both performances and compositions
What would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall if I have 51/60 (A) for both performances and compositions

51/60 and 51/60?
I dunno how to revise essays

Learn all the bullet points required for texture, harmony and tonality, rhythm and metre, melody and dynamics and tempo and timbre and word setting (if appropriate), structure and common motifs, instrumentation and technology. Read the bullet points aloud from previous answers you've written (or hubpages.com), then try and say the bullet point aloud again, but while looking away from the notes. I recommend you revise Handel, Capercaillie and one other from that section (Mozart or Chopin and Yiri or Rag Desh). Also, you need to know every piece in enough detail to write about (if prompted to). Here is a great revision booklet to help you on every set work and here is a YouTube channel, with descriptions of all of the set works aloud. This may be easier to revise from. Also, good luck!

http://ravensbourneperformingarts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Music-Edexcel-GCSE-Revision-Booklet.pdf

https://m.youtube.com/user/VerulamMusicDept
(Look at the playlist GCSE revision 2)
Original post by GCSE DEMOLISHER
51/60 and 51/60?

Yeah, that's the minimum cos my teacher said I got very high a's but she wouldn't tell me the exact marks
Original post by GCSE DEMOLISHER
Learn all the bullet points required for texture, harmony and tonality, rhythm and metre, melody and dynamics and tempo and timbre and word setting (if appropriate), structure and common motifs, instrumentation and technology. Read the bullet points aloud from previous answers you've written (or hubpages.com), then try and say the bullet point aloud again, but while looking away from the notes. I recommend you revise Handel, Capercaillie and one other from that section (Mozart or Chopin and Yiri or Rag Desh). Also, you need to know every piece in enough detail to write about (if prompted to). Here is a great revision booklet to help you on every set work and here is a YouTube channel, with descriptions of all of the set works aloud. This may be easier to revise from. Also, good luck!

http://ravensbourneperformingarts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Music-Edexcel-GCSE-Revision-Booklet.pdf

https://m.youtube.com/user/VerulamMusicDept
(Look at the playlist GCSE revision 2)

Thanks!
I would like to request that everyone fails the paper so we can have low grade boundaries xD
Reply 157
Original post by asox
PEARSON EDEXCEL GCSE MUSIC THREAD

Here are some resources which may be useful for revision:

Resource 1
Resource 2
Resource 3
Resource 4
Resource 5

Also, post your answers to the following questions:
1 Favourite Set Piece GRACEEEEEE
2 Least Favourite Set Piece rag
3 Most Confident Set Piece probably mozart
4 Least Confident Set Piece rag
5 Do You Regret Taking Music? yes but no but yes but no
6 Have You Started Revising HELP MY EXAMS TOMORROW AND IM FREAKING OMG DOES ANYONE HAVE PREDICTIONS????????

Predictions for the essays in Section B of the paper are also helpful so if you have any suggestions please say.

Other Resources would also be useful!

:smile:
X X X X
Original post by zeldor711
I would like to request that everyone fails the paper so we can have low grade boundaries xD

trust me! they are way too high
Original post by miapiamia
trust me! they are way too high

ikr! it's 90% for an A* in the listening paper - that means you can only afford to lose 8 marks (since 90% of 80 is 72)

it's ridiculous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending