The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sineadmm
I have just been offered an O post in Belfast which has a starting salary of 23010 but searched in vain for a payscale. there doesnt appear to be one! can you shed any light on this. the post is for hmrc

I wouldn't stress about a pay scale because as has been previously mentioned, government austerity measures mean that pay rises are restricted to 1% per year. The only government department this doesn't apply to as far as I'm aware is DWP who are offering its staff a pay rise up to 5% a year for the next four years in return for offering the department more flexibility in your working hours ie longer opening hours and weekends. However DWP pay is very poor and has needed to catch up to other departments for a long time, I think only HMCTS pay less comparatively.

As long as the 1% cap is in place you will never progress through any pay scales and the only realistic way to increase your pay beyond 1% is to get promoted or move to another government department that pays more at the same grade although it is generally expected that you will stay in post for a minimum of two years before applying for vacancies on level transfer.

There should be no expectation that you're promoted on length of service or anything like that. If you're keen on getting promoted as quickly as you can I would advise that once you've completed probation, and can apply for all internal civil service vacancies, that you don't restrict yourself just to HMRC vacancies or anything like that. The civil service is enormous and there are depths of opportunity if you're willing to move between departments or travel to other locations in the UK.
Original post by pukahontas
I wouldn't stress about a pay scale because as has been previously mentioned, government austerity measures mean that pay rises are restricted to 1% per year. The only government department this doesn't apply to as far as I'm aware is DWP who are offering its staff a pay rise up to 5% a year for the next four years in return for offering the department more flexibility in your working hours ie longer opening hours and weekends. However DWP pay is very poor and has needed to catch up to other departments for a long time, I think only HMCTS pay less comparatively.

As long as the 1% cap is in place you will never progress through any pay scales and the only realistic way to increase your pay beyond 1% is to get promoted or move to another government department that pays more at the same grade although it is generally expected that you will stay in post for a minimum of two years before applying for vacancies on level transfer.

There should be no expectation that you're promoted on length of service or anything like that. If you're keen on getting promoted as quickly as you can I would advise that once you've completed probation, and can apply for all internal civil service vacancies, that you don't restrict yourself just to HMRC vacancies or anything like that. The civil service is enormous and there are depths of opportunity if you're willing to move between departments or travel to other locations in the UK.

That is my aim, work hard and get promoted quickly. I am hoping this role will open a few doors for me. As it is a £5k payrise for me I am not too worried about payscales atm.
Reply 202
Original post by Doll Parts
There is no longer guaranteed pay progression in the Civil Service. In my current dept (Home Office) they 'bought out' our pay progression - it was either accept a buy out or have removal of progression imposed, with no compensation.

In fact twice in the last four years I've had pay cuts, due to changes to pensions and NI. Proposed changes to the Civil Service Compensation Scheme (the redundancy scheme) also make the Civil Service a much less appealing employer than in the past.

I think some people also need to be realistic about the chances of promotion, it's not a case of do a few years and then get promoted; it's very competitive nowadays with often 100+ applying for just one post. Also consider where the thousands of displaced staff from HMRC regional offices will be going.

I have a provisional offer for Liverpool and I'm considering it very carefully, as its a level transfer for me, and i need to be sure I won't be on worse terms & conditions than with Home Office.

If I could give you any advice; it's join PCS on entry. Even if you think you'll never need them - it's insurance.

What are your thoughts on job security and realistic prospects of career progression in the civil service/HMRC? My current job is relatively secure (police) and my salary is significantly more. I've been made a provisional offer for HEO Liverpool which will be a pay cut.
You clearly suggest in your post that promotion is not very easy. I would like to think that I may be able to get promotion in 2 to 3 years, but your post makes me think that that is not likely.
I'm a civil servant, it isn't the idea that progression isn't easy it's just clarifying to some that it isn't as easy as they might imagine in that it isn't guaranteed. However, if you're willing to work hard, develop yourself and expand your experience then there's no reason why you couldn't progress.

2-3 years is a realistic timeframe to gain new experience in the HO role before applying for SEO jobs. Personally I was an AO up until January before coming an EO. I've been in the EO role for 4 months before being offered an HEO position. Whilst that wouldn't be seen as a regular occurrence I was able to get the HEO role by using the skills I had learnt as an EO.

Personally I think the key to developing yourself in the civil service is taking on responsibility for areas of work that wouldn't fall under your direct remit or getting involved in things outside your usual role. Things such as working groups or volunteering to be the site point of contact for a particular project that's going on regionally. They offer different experiences to that in your day to day work. Volunteer for everything you can.

These case working roles sound like they would offer great experience in decision making, collaborative working, dealing with confrontation and therefore people skills but there is also no direct line management responsibilities. From SEO grade and above a lot of operations roles are all about managing people and their performance, you may need to develop those skills in order to be successful in gaining promotion to the next level. That's just one example of personal development, it would all depend on which sort of roles you would be interested in moving into in the future.

I previously worked as a decision maker for the Home Office which gave me valuable decision making and collaborative working skills but I had never managed staff. Because of this I applied for a team leader role in DWP on promotion to gain that experience to help me move up again later on.

Civil service wide there are tons of vacancies coming up all the time from HEO level upwards so the opportunities are available for those with the required skills.

In terms of job security, in years gone by a civil service job was considered as a job for life but now it's the same as anywhere else. However, in 8 years I've never been anywhere that has had a compulsory redundancy package, I've seen a couple of voluntary packages but compulsory is almost unheard of. Senior managers would use it as a last resort. If redundancies were ever raised you're still able to apply for other civil service vacancies to escape that threat and if the threat of redundancy is real you would be classed as a priority mover so that if you did apply for other jobs you would have priority for it because your job is at risk. The only people I have known accept redundancy are those who genuinely wanted to.
Reply 204
Original post by pukahontas
I'm a civil servant, it isn't the idea that progression isn't easy it's just clarifying to some that it isn't as easy as they might imagine in that it isn't guaranteed. However, if you're willing to work hard, develop yourself and expand your experience then there's no reason why you couldn't progress.

2-3 years is a realistic timeframe to gain new experience in the HO role before applying for SEO jobs. Personally I was an AO up until January before coming an EO. I've been in the EO role for 4 months before being offered an HEO position. Whilst that wouldn't be seen as a regular occurrence I was able to get the HEO role by using the skills I had learnt as an EO.

Personally I think the key to developing yourself in the civil service is taking on responsibility for areas of work that wouldn't fall under your direct remit or getting involved in things outside your usual role. Things such as working groups or volunteering to be the site point of contact for a particular project that's going on regionally. They offer different experiences to that in your day to day work. Volunteer for everything you can.

These case working roles sound like they would offer great experience in decision making, collaborative working, dealing with confrontation and therefore people skills but there is also no direct line management responsibilities. From SEO grade and above a lot of operations roles are all about managing people and their performance, you may need to develop those skills in order to be successful in gaining promotion to the next level. That's just one example of personal development, it would all depend on which sort of roles you would be interested in moving into in the future.

I previously worked as a decision maker for the Home Office which gave me valuable decision making and collaborative working skills but I had never managed staff. Because of this I applied for a team leader role in DWP on promotion to gain that experience to help me move up again later on.

Civil service wide there are tons of vacancies coming up all the time from HEO level upwards so the opportunities are available for those with the required skills.

In terms of job security, in years gone by a civil service job was considered as a job for life but now it's the same as anywhere else. However, in 8 years I've never been anywhere that has had a compulsory redundancy package, I've seen a couple of voluntary packages but compulsory is almost unheard of. Senior managers would use it as a last resort. If redundancies were ever raised you're still able to apply for other civil service vacancies to escape that threat and if the threat of redundancy is real you would be classed as a priority mover so that if you did apply for other jobs you would have priority for it because your job is at risk. The only people I have known accept redundancy are those who genuinely wanted to.

Thanks for your thorough and honest reply. I'm currently a sergeant in the police, so I am a manager and have supervisory responsibility for a number of staff. This is clearly something that I won't have in the HEO role, but if I moved up a step then I would have such responsibility. The fact that you outline that there are opportunities available if you are willing to develop yourself and take on work I find very positive.

Do you by chance know what my starting salary would be ? Im assuming £29068? But I know that there is a salary range for the role, however given that there are no payscale progressions anymore I'm not sure why the role was advertised as a salary of between £29068 and just under £33000 I think it was.

Your response about job security is reassuring. I wouldn't like to leave a relatively safe occupation in the police to find my job under threat in a few years. But it sounds as though there would be alternatives.
Original post by Hayho
Thanks for your thorough and honest reply. I'm currently a sergeant in the police, so I am a manager and have supervisory responsibility for a number of staff. This is clearly something that I won't have in the HEO role, but if I moved up a step then I would have such responsibility. The fact that you outline that there are opportunities available if you are willing to develop yourself and take on work I find very positive.

Do you by chance know what my starting salary would be ? Im assuming £29068? But I know that there is a salary range for the role, however given that there are no payscale progressions anymore I'm not sure why the role was advertised as a salary of between £29068 and just under £33000 I think it was.

Your response about job security is reassuring. I wouldn't like to leave a relatively safe occupation in the police to find my job under threat in a few years. But it sounds as though there would be alternatives.

Did you not ask your interviewers these questions?

You're being offered a two year training programme so it's highly unlikely you'll be promoted within that period.
Yes salary starts at £29068. Technically there still are pay scales in this role and throughout most government departments but the 1% pay rise means it's impossible to progress through the scales as you would always be on the minimum.
Reply 207
Original post by Mega0448
Did you not ask your interviewers these questions?

You're being offered a two year training programme so it's highly unlikely you'll be promoted within that period.

I didn't ask about the salary because I assumed that I would progress through the payscales, but having read comments on here it seems not. Promotion I was thinking I may be able to go for in 2 to 3 years. If this isn't realistic I accept that.
Original post by Hayho
I didn't ask about the salary because I assumed that I would progress through the payscales, but having read comments on here it seems not. Promotion I was thinking I may be able to go for in 2 to 3 years. If this isn't realistic I accept that.

I'm not saying it's unrealistic but it's like any job. Depends on you as an individual and the role you're applying for. Someone from your background, I don't see why you shouldn't be an SO so apply as soon as you get the opportunity.

Payscales are just a mess because of the austerity measures.
Hi has anyone else been offered a HO position in Birmingham? I've also had an email to say my pre-employment checks have already been completed! I was expecting this to take much longer, has anyone else received this email?
Reply 210
Hi. When did you get your provisional offer?
Original post by Sljca
Hi. When did you get your provisional offer?

I got my provisional offer on the 9th may
Reply 212
Do you work for the civil service? The reason I ask is that it seems very quick! Did it come up with formal offer on the civil service jobs site? Well done, by the way!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
That is quick! I hope Manchester is the same!
Reply 214
I hope Salford is!
Original post by Sljca
Do you work for the civil service? The reason I ask is that it seems very quick! Did it come up with formal offer on the civil service jobs site? Well done, by the way!!!!

Yes I do, but I had heard from people who started in March that even though they were civil service they still had to wait like 2-3 months for the pre-employment checks! It hasn't come up with a formal offer yet but it says pre-employment checks passed and the vacancy holder will contact me shortly.
And thank you! do you have a provisional offer?
Reply 216
I do. Waiting for the pre employment checks!!
Reply 217
Original post by NatalieAnnex
Yes I do, but I had heard from people who started in March that even though they were civil service they still had to wait like 2-3 months for the pre-employment checks! It hasn't come up with a formal offer yet but it says pre-employment checks passed and the vacancy holder will contact me shortly.
And thank you! do you have a provisional offer?

Hey, congratulations!!

Did you receive your pre employment checks passed email today?
Original post by SW19!
Hey, congratulations!!

Did you receive your pre employment checks passed email today?

Hi thank you! Yes I did, have you had the same email?
Reply 219
Original post by NatalieAnnex
Hi thank you! Yes I did, have you had the same email?

No not yet although I know a couple of people who got theirs yesterday. I'm also with the CS and am looking out for the email every 2 or 3 minutes (seriously, lol!)

Latest