Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HMRC Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer Caseworker Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Just waiting on a formal offer ... forever for Manchester. I reached the end of my tither and got in touch with my local MP to look into it. Seems to be lots of people in later campaigns getting into jobs before people from earlier campaigns and it's just ridiculous. You can understand internal candidates being recruited first if on a later campaign but not external candidates like many of us. Hopefully should give us all some clarity and not the usual spun answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rollerblind75)
    Hey guys. Just waiting on a formal offer ... forever for Manchester. I reached the end of my tither and got in touch with my local MP to look into it. Seems to be lots of people in later campaigns getting into jobs before people from earlier campaigns and it's just ridiculous. You can understand internal candidates being recruited first if on a later campaign but not external candidates like many of us. Hopefully should give us all some clarity and not the usual spun answers
    Hopefully you get some answers. I agree with you that people who applied in the earlier campaign should get priority. Fill the vacancies with them first and then post for new positions. Not fair to be kept waiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabze)
    Hopefully you get some answers. I agree with you that people who applied in the earlier campaign should get priority. Fill the vacancies with them first and then post for new positions. Not fair to be kept waiting.
    You may all want to sit down but just finished a meeting with him... basically to be blunt.. none of us are guaranteed jobs and it's increasingly likely we may not get one the longer we have to wait. HMRC will continue to sanction jobs as/when they become available - so long as funding is available. Now he stressed the Govt has given no indication that it's going to change policy on this i.e.withdraw funding and not honour outstanding provisional offers but he says it's possible they could withdraw funding for it at anytime.
    He said his major concern is that people are getting provisional offers ie. " there's a job for you pending successful security clearance "... and then NOT getting a start date within at least a couple of weeks. He said we have to understand it's not possible for them to get everyone into post at the same time BUT he stressed at the very least they should be able to give us start dates whether it be December January February march or April. IF provisional offers are going out it should mean there's a job and therefore no reason at the very least people shouldn't be getting start dates because if they can't give people start dates they shouldn't be making offers of any kind as provisional offers should only be pending security checks. He said he will raise it with a Minister. Don't want to worry anyone but that's what I was told.
    Hope all works out ok for us!

ReputationRep:
    You may all want to sit down but just finished a meeting with him... basically to be blunt.. none of us are guaranteed jobs and it's increasingly likely we may not get one the longer we have to wait. HMRC will continue to sanction jobs as/when they become available - so long as funding is available. Now he stressed the Govt has given no indication that it's going to change policy on this i.e.withdraw funding and not honour outstanding provisional offers but he says it's possible they could withdraw funding for it at anytime.
    He said his major concern is that people are getting provisional offers ie. " there's a job for you pending successful security clearance "... and then NOT getting a start date within at least a couple of weeks. He said we have to understand it's not possible for them to get everyone into post at the same time BUT he stressed at the very least they should be able to give us start dates whether it be December January February march or April. IF provisional offers are going out it should mean there's a job and therefore no reason at the very least people shouldn't be getting start dates because if they can't give people start dates they shouldn't be making offers of any kind as provisional offers should only be pending security checks. He said he will raise it with a Minister. Don't want to worry anyone but that's what I was told.
    Hope all works out ok for us!
    Whilst I appreciate the good intentions behind this, it isn't helpful. It's just adding to more worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplymekaty)
    Whilst I appreciate the good intentions behind this, it isn't helpful. It's just adding to more worry.
    To be honest, I don't think it tells us anything we shouldn't already be aware of. When anything is provisional it is not guaranteed. The process has been exceptionally long and drawn out, but no more so than previous HMRC recruitment drives over the years by the looks of other threads on here. There is no indication that we won't be offered posts, but we have to accept that we have no idea how long it will take. For those currently not employed this is clearly an issue. For those, like me, who are fortunate enough to already have a job, perhaps not so much so.

I'm currently waiting for a start date for an O role and also waiting on the overdue outcomes of a HO interview from last month. It is frustrating and I'll admit to checking my emails multiple times an hour each day, but we all need to accept the situation for what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theduffman82)
    To be honest, I don't think it tells us anything we shouldn't already be aware of. When anything is provisional it is not guaranteed. The process has been exceptionally long and drawn out, but no more so than previous HMRC recruitment drives over the years by the looks of other threads on here. There is no indication that we won't be offered posts, but we have to accept that we have no idea how long it will take. For those currently not employed this is clearly an issue. For those, like me, who are fortunate enough to already have a job, perhaps not so much so.

I'm currently waiting for a start date for an O role and also waiting on the overdue outcomes of a HO interview from last month. It is frustrating and I'll admit to checking my emails multiple times an hour each day, but we all need to accept the situation for what it is.
    Sensible words. I'm lucky that I am employed too (albeit recently passed up a promotion which I am regretting a tad now). Fingers crossed for some movement in January 2017. I hope you hear the outcome of your interview soon.

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth in regards to the idea that funding may be pulled and job offers never happening I was in a meeting a couple of weeks ago where one person in attendance is a grade 6 (one below the senior civil service) and is in charge of ISBC for north England and Wales and he said they were still desperate to get more people in hence these rolling recruitment campaigns. And ISBC is just one area of Customer Compliance.

ReputationRep:
    2 points. Duffman - Yes absolutely nothing is set in stone and that is the issue when it should not be. Each Civil servant costs over £2000 to the taxpayer to recruit so each position must be justified from the point a Provisional Offer is issued to the point that individual takes up duty. It IS a long and drawn out process with regards to perhaps when you are security cleared to whenever the date is they give you - but what has been stressed to me today is that they should at least be giving the starting dates in order to fulfil their obligation of justifying requesting the positions be filled in the first place.

Pukahontas - That may well be the case but you know and I know that if the Treasury issued instructs that funding is to be cut tomorrow for HMRC recruitment then any meeting you had yesterday the day before or a few weeks ago wouldn't matter a jot. Most of us waiting on start dates, the 300-400 would have our offers thrown in the bin and the cost would be £0.5- 1m wasted of taxpayers money on pre-employment checks etc. That's why people should be getting start dates. If they were getting provisional offers it should mean there's a job for them otherwise they shouldn't be getting provisional offers if there is no job. That's what was stated to me today.

ReputationRep:
    Any idea how reserve lists work as i have had to turn down a start date due to other commitments and am now back on reserve list
    Anyone know how priority is given?? I am from last yrs campaign and have already waited 1 yr to get this start date on 14th dec in birmingham.
    Any help??

ReputationRep:
    2 points. Duffman - Yes absolutely nothing is set in stone and that is the issue when it should not be. Each Civil servant costs over £2000 to the taxpayer to recruit so each position must be justified from the point a Provisional Offer is issued to the point that individual takes up duty. It IS a long and drawn out process with regards to perhaps when you are security cleared to whenever the date is they give you - but what has been stressed to me today is that they should at least be giving the starting dates in order to fulfil their obligation of justifying requesting the positions be filled in the first place.

Pukahontas - That may well be the case but you know and I know that if the Treasury issued instructs that funding is to be cut tomorrow for HMRC recruitment then any meeting you had yesterday the day before or a few weeks ago wouldn't matter a jot. Most of us waiting on start dates, the 300-400 would have our offers thrown in the bin and the cost would be £0.5- 1m wasted of taxpayers money on pre-employment checks etc. That's why people should be getting start dates. If they were getting provisional offers it should mean there's a job for them otherwise they shouldn't be getting provisional offers if there is no job. That's what was stated to me today.
    HMRC have already been given funding by The Treasury to recruit more staff, it isn't a case of there being a chance of it being pulled, HMRC have their budget for this financial year and would have had to put in a business case previous to that to The Treasury to secure funds for more staff.

The major draw for The Treasury providing such funds is that whilst it may cost £30000 a year to pay one member of staff in a compliance role the revenue they will bring into the public purse through compliance enquiries can be up to ten times that amount.

It isn't a case of HMRC advertising these jobs and then going cap in hand to The Treasury to fund them. They already have the money.

If you have a provisional offer you will be getting a job providing you pass the security checks. The issue is the size of the recruitment and so many departments being restructured that it's a mammoth task to know which department needs how many staff. Plus each department will be fighting for as many staff as possible.

I have been in the civil service for 8 years and advertising for 1000 HEOs in one campaign is unprecedented. There has never been anything remotely comparable. Now to think that this is just one campaign and there have been three others in the last 14 months recruiting 400-500 people at a time shows the enormity and complexity of the recruitment process. It takes a lot of time and a lot of people to put these plans into fruition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahima589)
    Any idea how reserve lists work as i have had to turn down a start date due to other commitments and am now back on reserve list
    Anyone know how priority is given?? I am from last yrs campaign and have already waited 1 yr to get this start date on 14th dec in birmingham.
    Any help??
    I'd imagine you will be at the back of the queue so to speak. I personally wouldn't have turned it down. I guess though everyone is different and I don't know your circumstances so I won't judge your situation. It's fair though that people who have not deferred will be offered before you now though and that's the risk you'll have to take. If there's as many jobs as Pukohontas says and the funding is there then you still should get a post hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pukahontas)
    HMRC have already been given funding by The Treasury to recruit more staff, it isn't a case of there being a chance of it being pulled, HMRC have their budget for this financial year and would have had to put in a business case previous to that to The Treasury to secure funds for more staff.

The major draw for The Treasury providing such funds is that whilst it may cost £30000 a year to pay one member of staff in a compliance role the revenue they will bring into the public purse through compliance enquiries can be up to ten times that amount.

It isn't a case of HMRC advertising these jobs and then going cap in hand to The Treasury to fund them. They already have the money.

If you have a provisional offer you will be getting a job providing you pass the security checks. The issue is the size of the recruitment and so many departments being restructured that it's a mammoth task to know which department needs how many staff. Plus each department will be fighting for as many staff as possible.

I have been in the civil service for 8 years and advertising for 1000 HEOs in one campaign is unprecedented. There has never been anything remotely comparable. Now to think that this is just one campaign and there have been three others in the last 14 months recruiting 400-500 people at a time shows the enormity and complexity of the recruitment process. It takes a lot of time and a lot of people to put these plans into fruition.
    This makes me feel a lot more positive about actually receiving a start date albeit probably not as soon as I'd hope. I'm sure it'll be worth it when it eventually comes around.

ReputationRep:
    Im getting married which is why i asked for a deferred start date as i will be abroad. It will a shame if i am placed at the back of the list after such a long wait

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to somebody yesterday from E&C recruitment on the phone and they told me that once you have passed the interview and then cleared the security checks then you WILL get a job at some point. There are people who have current job contracts which stipulate more than 4 weeks notice period and HMRC recruitment know about this. However even if you informed them beforehand then they would request that you just ask for a later starting date. If you have requested a different starting date or location etc then you will still certainly get a job. There are no reported cases of someone being denied a job after they have passed security checks so I would put that particular fear to bed. Its just a matter of how long you have to wait (which as we all know can be a long time!). The other thing that I was told and that has been mentioned on here already is that no new start dates will be given out now until the start of December and perhaps towards the middle of the month, so that the start dates come after the new year. I guess we can all enjoy Christmas and new year then 😃

On a separate note I was wondering how the reserve list is ordered. Does anyone think it might be ordered by how each candidate performed in the interview? It would help explain why people who have been on the list waiting from earlier campaigns might be beaten on getting a formal offer by people from later campaigns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leo1882)
    I spoke to somebody yesterday from E&C recruitment on the phone and they told me that once you have passed the interview and then cleared the security checks then you WILL get a job at some point. There are people who have current job contracts which stipulate more than 4 weeks notice period and HMRC recruitment know about this. However even if you informed them beforehand then they would request that you just ask for a later starting date. If you have requested a different starting date or location etc then you will still certainly get a job. There are no reported cases of someone being denied a job after they have passed security checks so I would put that particular fear to bed. Its just a matter of how long you have to wait (which as we all know can be a long time!). The other thing that I was told and that has been mentioned on here already is that no new start dates will be given out now until the start of December and perhaps towards the middle of the month, so that the start dates come after the new year. I guess we can all enjoy Christmas and new year then 😃

On a separate note I was wondering how the reserve list is ordered. Does anyone think it might be ordered by how each candidate performed in the interview? It would help explain why people who have been on the list waiting from earlier campaigns might be beaten on getting a formal offer by people from later campaigns.
    It's always been a point based system so what you've described makes sense in terms of the reserve list, they will want the best of the best so will take higher scorers in the new campaigns before looking to the reserve lists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leo1882)

The reserve list is on merit order, meaning that how you performed in the assessment (usually interview, as for 1320/16) will determine your place compared to other candidates. This however is only for provisional offers. Once you have a provisional offer there is no merit order for formal offers and it's just when your name comes up, which can be impacted by a range of factors, mainly how long your pre-employment checks take!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HammerThyme)
    The reserve list is on merit order, meaning that how you performed in the assessment (usually interview, as for 1320/16) will determine your place compared to other candidates. This however is only for provisional offers. Once you have a provisional offer there is no merit order for formal offers and it's just when your name comes up, which can be impacted by a range of factors, mainly how long your pre-employment checks take!
    Having worked for two days in croydon there is a new batch of 30 starting in two weeks. Of the 30 that started yesterday with me only 3 were HEO the rest were O grade which really surprised me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Escapalda lamen)
    Having worked for two days in croydon there is a new batch of 30 starting in two weeks. Of the 30 that started yesterday with me only 3 were HEO the rest were O grade which really surprised me.
    More due to start in Dec in Manchester, most that started with me were HEO

ReputationRep:
    I'm one of the 30 supposed to start in 2 weeks. Is there any way to find out who my line manager is?

I called about starting on my start date but taking the next week off for a pre booked holiday and was told I had to check with my manager once I started.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... that's surprising. Are you guys in ISBC?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.