Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HMRC Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer Caseworker Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneale)
    If you read around the alpha pension is not as good for younger people, I'll find a few posts and link them when I have time.
    No disrespect, but I would question whatever source you found on the internet. The Defined Benefits Pension is 5.45% from you, and matched by the government. For every year you get 1/43 (maybe 1/40, I cannot remember the exact amount) saved as your per annum income. If I work 40 years my pension will be over 29k with no promotions included. If you put in 3% you put in 870~ a year. The government match that so 1740 a year. Thats approximately 75k without interest. Over a life period assuming you're 18, you should have a pension pot just Short of 100k. Seriously good luck finding an annuity worth anywhere close to 29k a year with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyro)
    No disrespect, but I would question whatever source you found on the internet. The Defined Benefits Pension is 5.45% from you, and matched by the government. For every year you get 1/43 (maybe 1/40, I cannot remember the exact amount) saved as your per annum income. If I work 40 years my pension will be over 29k with no promotions included. If you put in 3% you put in 870~ a year. The government match that so 1740 a year. Thats approximately 75k without interest. Over a life period assuming you're 18, you should have a pension pot just Short of 100k. Seriously good luck finding an annuity worth anywhere close to 29k a year with that.
    They don't just match the 3% that the employee pays in though, they pay the following amounts in depending on age also:

Under 31 8%
    31 to 35 9%
    36 to 40 11%
    41 to 45 13.5%
    46 or over 14.75%

From what I read it was worth being in Partnership up until mid-40s then switching over to alpha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneale)
    They don't just match the 3% that the employee pays in though, they pay the following amounts in depending on age also:

Under 31 8%
    31 to 35 9%
    36 to 40 11%
    41 to 45 13.5%
    46 or over 14.75%

From what I read it was worth being in Partnership up until mid-40s then switching over to alpha.
    I've done a lovely big spreadsheet to include this, plus compound interest of 5% to account for growth. The total pot based on 3% and the split from pension website give out £396,816.51 pension pot. Aviva quote this as £16,416 yearly annuity. Rule of thumb is £5,000 annum per £100,000 pension pot, so you can probably get closer to 20k.

Disclaimer: I am not a pensions advisor, I just dont see any way the partnership is better then a Defined Benefit Scheme which Alpha is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyro)
    I've done a lovely big spreadsheet to include this, plus compound interest of 5% to account for growth. The total pot based on 3% and the split from pension website give out £396,816.51 pension pot. Aviva quote this as £16,416 yearly annuity. Rule of thumb is £5,000 annum per £100,000 pension pot, so you can probably get closer to 20k.

Disclaimer: I am not a pensions advisor, I just dont see any way the partnership is better then a Defined Benefit Scheme which Alpha is.
    Completely agree - most people would give their eye Teeth for a defined benefit scheme!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got update on 1666/16 campign???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info about the pensions. I'm doing my own reading round but just thought I'd see your opinions too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silas Greenback)
    Anyone got update on 1666/16 campign???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got an offer 2 weeks ago, starting early January

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HungryHippo53)
    I got an offer 2 weeks ago, starting early January
    Congrats!!
    Which office will u be based??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone who works at HMRC now, know if they have a Private User Scheme for salary sacrifice cars (or whatever they call it in HMRC). Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplymekaty)
    Does anyone who works at HMRC now, know if they have a Private User Scheme for salary sacrifice cars (or whatever they call it in HMRC). Cheers.
    They do salary sacrifice for stuff like purchasing a bicycle, annual rail tickets, car park passes, etc. I'm not sure they're available for car purchase however.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...lary-sacrifice

Last autumn statement killed off a lot of salary sacrifice schemes from next April...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ERush)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...lary-sacrifice

Last autumn statement killed off a lot of salary sacrifice schemes from next April...
    Thanks. May be able to get on some of the schemes before they axe them then and still benefit until 2021. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplymekaty)
    Thanks. May be able to get on some of the schemes before they axe them then and still benefit until 2021. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the info
    When do you start? You going to SPT in Nottingham right?

ReputationRep:
    Having been at HMRC in croydon for a little under 2 weeks now. I have to say, once you actually get in and start then communication is miles better.

The recruitment is done centrally for all of civil service and as you can imagine that's a large pool.

I'm enjoying my time here so far and the managers have all been helpful in different ways. Good luck to those waiting to start. I gather there's a batch coming in January and then nothing for a few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Rey)
    Having been at HMRC in croydon for a little under 2 weeks now. I have to say, once you actually get in and start then communication is miles better.

The recruitment is done centrally for all of civil service and as you can imagine that's a large pool.

I'm enjoying my time here so far and the managers have all been helpful in different ways. Good luck to those waiting to start. I gather there's a batch coming in January and then nothing for a few months.
    Are you on the 2nd floor in Croydon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay191)
    Are you on the 2nd floor in Croydon?
    Yes I am. You? When did you start?

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting croydon on 6th Feb e&c.

Anyone else starting around then?
    What's e&c like?

ReputationRep:
    Just to let everyone know im from the 2066/15 campaign so had my interview November last year. Got an email yesterday askin me for documentation either vecause it wasn't originally submitted or is out of date. The latter being the reason as I had taken everything with me last year.

So for everyone in my position keep the faith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Got my start date today for 1320/16, 23rd January in Croydon for small medium enterprise. Wanted Stratford as I now have a 5 hour round trip but will have to haggle that once I have started. Anyone else in the same boat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by md1976)
    Got my start date today for 1320/16, 23rd January in Croydon for small medium enterprise. Wanted Stratford as I now have a 5 hour round trip but will have to haggle that once I have started. Anyone else in the same boat?
    I am in the same boat. 4hr round trip minimum. Stratford would be about 1.5hr.

There may potentially be availability to move when Stratford office is built.. but I wouldn't count on it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.