The Student Room Group

Journey to becoming a physicist - year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by GCSEstudentt
Thank you that was really helpful :smile: I wish I would've done that at the start of the course lool. I'll start now

I feel the same, I would have covered a lot more. But oh well, now is better than in a few months!
Reply 41
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
I hope you achieve what you want! I am sure with your effort, your aspirations become fulfilled! :biggrin:

Thank you! Right back at ya! :biggrin:
Original post by kennethdcharles
I feel the same, I would have covered a lot more. But oh well, now is better than in a few months!

Yep 👍🏼
Reply 43
17/02/16
Today was alright. I managed to revise my french oral script again, and managed to do some RS past paper questions. I'm currently aiming to finish some biology flashcards on B3. Tomorrow I aim to go through my French work again, as well as a bitnof Chemistry C1, C2, C3 revision. I also will do an English past paper :smile:
Hey we share the same dream too: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

No idea if I'll achieve but I sure as hell will try!
Reply 45
We are very similar, I want to work in science and am currently leaning towards physics (I'm doing maths & the three sciences at a-level), it's nice to find someone who has similar dreams and interests to me, keep working hard :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by brainzistheword
Hey we share the same dream too: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511

No idea if I'll achieve but I sure as hell will try!

Original post by RawSugar
We are very similar, I want to work in science and am currently leaning towards physics (I'm doing maths & the three sciences at a-level), it's nice to find someone who has similar dreams and interests to me, keep working hard :smile:

Very nice to see people with my dream too! Also nice to see people willing to work hard! How are your studies going?
Very nice to see people with my dream too! Also nice to see people willing to work hard! How are your studies going?

They are going quite well but I'm taking nothing for granted :smile:. It's very good doing physics, especially at our school because I get to help explain concepts to the other pupils as none of them seem to enjoy the subject - so it is great practice for me.

Good luck with all your exams
Reply 48
They are going quite well but I'm taking nothing for granted :smile:. It's very good doing physics, especially at our school because I get to help explain concepts to the other pupils as none of them seem to enjoy the subject - so it is great practice for me.

Good luck with all your exams

Thank you! Good luck to you too 😊. So it looks like you really like physics, just like me! What do you plan to do after GCSEs and after A levels?
Thank you! Good luck to you too 😊. So it looks like you really like physics, just like me! What do you plan to do after GCSEs and after A levels?

I quite like the idea of going to University but I wouldn't know where - obviously though aiming high isn't a bad idea :biggrin: so Oxford or Cambridge is a dream. I don't know why but being able to say you had a PhD in physics sounds really cool so my ultimate aim is to achieve that, although I understand the amount of work will be immense. How about you?
Reply 50
I quite like the idea of going to University but I wouldn't know where - obviously though aiming high isn't a bad idea :biggrin: so Oxford or Cambridge is a dream. I don't know why but being able to say you had a PhD in physics sounds really cool so my ultimate aim is to achieve that, although I understand the amount of work will be immense. How about you?

Wow, like you, I'm aiming for Oxford to do physics. After that I want to get a PhD as well as a few post-doc projects, before hopefully getting a full time research post or professorship. So basically, I'll be spending my life doing physics ! :biggrin:
Wow, like you, I'm aiming for Oxford to do physics. After that I want to get a PhD as well as a few post-doc projects, before hopefully getting a full time research post or professorship. So basically, I'll be spending my life doing physics ! :biggrin:

Fab! Great to know there are other physics-loving humans out there :biggrin:. I'd love to spend my entire life doing physics. I'm also considering teaching maybe, but that isn't something I am focusing on yet - I want to get as high a qualification as I can before I do that :smile:
Reply 52
I'm fairly off track today. :biggrin: I've been meaning to do a lot: An English past paper, some chemistry mindmaps and also to prepare for my French orals. So far I've done some flashcards for biology, which I'm yet to finish. I better get working!
GOOD LUCK BRO :yy:
Reply 54
Original post by Milzime
GOOD LUCK BRO :yy:

Thank you man!!
Reply 55
WP_20160218_009.jpgJust completed a 2 hour English past paper. Now I've got to go and do a bit of chemistry, before I finish the day with more French controlled assessment prep. :biggrin:
Reply 56
Didn't manage to finish everything yesterday, so today I have to do mire than I planned! Therefore I will start at 11 in order to get everything done. I plan to:
-Try to fully memorise my French oral script
- Do make some physics flashcards for P7
- Answer some past paper physics questions on P1P2P3
-Finish off my chemistry C1 mindmaps

I also plan to tidy up files etc.

I hope that today is very productive :biggrin:
Hey, good to see so many year 11s already wanting to do Physics :biggrin: I'm doing my A2s now so have already been through the whole application process of applying to Oxford to do Physics. If you have any questions about preparing for it, I'd be happy to help!
Reply 58
Original post by Dino-unicorn
Hey, good to see so many year 11s already wanting to do Physics :biggrin: I'm doing my A2s now so have already been through the whole application process of applying to Oxford to do Physics. If you have any questions about preparing for it, I'd be happy to help!

Hey, that would be awesome! What A levels did you choose and also how important do you think your GCSEs were when it came to the decision (if you don't mind telling me, what did you get at GCSE too). Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Hey, that would be awesome! What A levels did you choose and also how important do you think your GCSEs were when it came to the decision (if you don't mind telling me, what did you get at GCSE too). Thanks a lot :biggrin:

I chose Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. I've carried all 4 over to my second year. I'm not convinced my GCSEs were that important, but I do think it helps to have high grades! I think the most important things are your entrance exam score (the PAT test) and your interview scores. Then your AS grades, then your GCSEs, then your references, and at the bottom of the pit your personal statement :tongue: I got 12 A*s and an A but most people at interviews (which are the top 40% of candidates who apply) had lower GCSE results than myself. All in all, don't unnecessarily stress over GCSEs because they aren't everything

Quick Reply

Latest