Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

St Michael's Catholic Grammar - 6th form - anyone applying? Or anyone go there? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying and I just wanted to see if other people are applying on here and what subjects their thinking of taking and their opinions of the school in general.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who goes there, it seems pretty good, quite academically-orientated. Apparently the environment is better than LSU which is also Catholic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glassriver)
    I know someone who goes there, it seems pretty good, quite academically-orientated. Apparently the environment is better than LSU which is also Catholic?
    I don't know much about LSU - but I think St Michaels does quite a bit better.
    The catholic bit is one of my only "unsure" bits about the school because I'm not Christian. But we'll see.

I just wanted to see other people's opinions of the schools and I wanted to ask a couple of questions to people who go there before I apply.

ReputationRep:
    I went there for sixth form and had the worst time of my life there and came out with no friends (apart one whom I am still close to this day). I enjoyed primary/secondary school and university life a lot and was very sociable. At sixth, I thought I had major social anxiety problems there. When the reality is, the sixth form was well not fit for me.

Although if peer pressure from teachers and peers helps you study harder, you will get the best grades possible. I most definitely did and I am certain if I went to a school like Woodhouse College, I wouldn't have gotten the grades.

But sixth form did mentally scar me as it lacks extra curriculum, sports, societies and lacks a diversity of backgrounds. I guess if you are white/christian, male or one of the "typical" confident girls, you will probably not have a problem fitting.

It might sound dramatic, but I'm being honest. I studied A level Art, Biology, Chemistry and Maths (AS)

Personally I'll say go to a Sixth Form you will enjoy the most and study subjects you will be willing to work your ass off for. Sixth Form is hard work, but I say play hard as well!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandamojia)
    I went there for sixth form and had the worst time of my life there and came out with no friends (apart one whom I am still close to this day). I enjoyed primary/secondary school and university life a lot and was very sociable. At sixth, I thought I had major social anxiety problems there. When the reality is, the sixth form was well not fit for me.

Although if peer pressure from teachers and peers helps you study harder, you will get the best grades possible. I most definitely did and I am certain if I went to a school like Woodhouse College, I wouldn't have gotten the grades.

But sixth form did mentally scar me as it lacks extra curriculum, sports, societies and lacks a diversity of backgrounds. I guess if you are white/christian, male or one of the "typical" confident girls, you will probably not have a problem fitting.

It might sound dramatic, but I'm being honest. I studied A level Art, Biology, Chemistry and Maths (AS)

Personally I'll say go to a Sixth Form you will enjoy the most and study subjects you will be willing to work your ass off for. Sixth Form is hard work, but I say play hard as well!!!
    I've already got social anxiety.... I'm a white, Jewish, female not very confident human being...
    I know what I want to study - I love those subjects.
    One of the questions I wanted to ask was about if they offer Further Maths? There was no mention of it on the website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwishicouldfly14)
    I've already got social anxiety.... I'm a white, Jewish, female not very confident human being...
    I know what I want to study - I love those subjects.
    One of the questions I wanted to ask was about if they offer Further Maths? There was no mention of it on the website
    I think they mentioned further maths in the open day if I remember correctly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.