Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Is anybody able to explain how the funding works for NHS nursing students?
    I have created a BOSS account to start my application, but I do not understand at all the how funding system works. I don't have any offers from any universities as I have interviews in the next few weeks.
    I know that Kings College London is funded for nursing students and this university is the one I am hoping to go too, but I am guessing there is only a few places?

Any help will be much appreciated as I think the application entry shuts in March.

Many Thanks
    Chloe
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by stevens1103)
    Hey,

I have created a BOSS account to start my application, but I do not understand at all the how funding system works. I don't have any offers from any universities as I have interviews in the next few weeks.
    I know that Kings College London is funded for nursing students and this university is the one I am hoping to go too, but I am guessing there is only a few places?

Any help will be much appreciated as I think the application entry shuts in March.

Many Thanks
    Chloe
    You can't apply until you have an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You can't apply until you have an offer.
    So If I don't get an offer by March I can't apply?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Many Thanks
    Chloe
    Hi Chloe,

Tuition fees are currently still paid for by the NHS, and therefore whichever university you go to, will not impact this.

There are 3 aspects to the funding of nursing students which you need to be aware about:
    1) Non means-tested grant from the NHS of up £1000* paid in 10 or 11 installments over the course of the year. (I think provided you are a UK student, everyone pretty much gets this). This is non-repayable.
    2) Means-tested NHS Bursary of up to £4395* per year, based on an assessment of yours and/or your parents' income, any dependents you might have etc. This is paid in 10 or 11 installments over the course of the year, and is also non-repayable.

Both of these you apply for through the NHS BOSS system, once you have received offers from your universities. The BOSS helpline is very good, and any universities you have applied to will also be able to assist you in your application for this.

3) Maintenance loan of up to £2324* per year from Student Finance England. You will need to do a separate application for this (Make sure it is the legitimate website for this as there have been some scam websites over recent years). This is paid in 3 installments over the course of the year, and you will have to repay it once you start earning.

* = These figures I think were for the financial year 2014-2015, and I don't know this year's figures. They usually change by a couple of pounds each year.

I hope that helps
    Joel
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    You can apply after the deadline, there's just no guarantee that your payments will be on time. Saying that they have a quick turnaround my application as a dependent student took less than 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    For September 2016 start you can apply anytime between 7th March and 19th August (You have to get all supporting evidence to them by this date).

You still have plenty of time so don't panic. When you have an offer you can apply. If you put down your firm choice and you get your insurance choice after results day that doesn't matter. They can sort it out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.