The Student Room Group

Insured on provisional for a car

Hi there,

my sister wants to buy a car she and my dad have passed their test a long time ago while I am still learning. If they also include me as a provisional driver to be insured on a car the price only goes up by £200-£300. I was wondering if I got insured on that car and say i passed my practical in a few months after will i need to pay extra cost to drive as a full license driver or would that year i paid be enough and cover it
(edited 8 years ago)
You will have to update the insurance company when you pass, unfortunately you will almost always have to pay extra.
Original post by dean01234
You will have to update the insurance company when you pass, unfortunately you will almost always have to pay extra.

By how much will it be roughly?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
By how much will it be roughly?

Really depends on too much stuff, try putting the details into a comparison website and then changing your details from provisional to full license. Its likely to be quite a lot.
You will need to tell them you've passed. The best way to get an idea of the price increase would be to ask them now. You probably won't be able to get a guaranteed price, but it'll be the most accurate answer.
Reply 5
It's usually only a couple of hundred quid extra once you've passed. You might as well get insured as a provisional, get your licence sorted out, and then deal with if you can afford it once you've passed later. Getting your licence done is the most important bit, it gets harder and less convenient the older you get.

Quick Reply

Latest