Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm from Anguilla which is a British Overseas Territory and own a British Passport. I believe I would be considered a British Citizen. However when trying to register on the student finance website it says that I will need a National Insurance Number which I dont think I have. Will I need to apply for one also or is there another way to go about registering.

Also as a British Overseas Territory Citizen, do I follow the same process when applying for student finance as someone who actually resides in the UK.

PS (I recently accepted an unconditional offer for university and am expecting to start in September)

Thanks in advance
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lynelle)
    Hi. I'm from Anguilla which is a British Overseas Territory and own a British Passport. I believe I would be considered a British Citizen. However when trying to register on the student finance website it says that I will need a National Insurance Number which I dont think I have. Will I need to apply for one also or is there another way to go about registering.

Also as a British Overseas Territory Citizen, do I follow the same process when applying for student finance as someone who actually resides in the UK.

PS (I recently accepted an unconditional offer for university and am expecting to start in September)

Thanks in advance
    Eligibility for student finance is based on residency and not on citizenship: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...inance-2016-17
    Also see http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Internation...s-Territories-

and https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...erritories.pdf
    (Original post by UK Government)
    students from the Territories are eligible for the home fee rate providing theyare studying at English universities and have been living in the EEA, Switzerland or theOverseas Territories for the three years prior to the first academic year of the course.

Students from the Overseas Territories are entitled to full student support if they have livedin the UK, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man for the three years prior to the course or afee loan only if they have lived within the EEA or Switzerland for those years.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lynelle

Students from British Overseas Territories are classed as UK Nationals and should apply as such, however you need to have 3 years residency in the UK prior to the start of your course in order to qualify for full funding. If you have been resident in the EU for 3 years prior to the start of your course you will qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan only. Any evidence required to assess the application will be the same as that required for any UK born student applying.

If you apply as a home student, we send your details to the department of work and pensions who will contact you about getting a national insurance number.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi Lynelle

Students from British Overseas Territories are classed as UK Nationals and should apply as such, however you need to have 3 years residency in the UK prior to the start of your course in order to qualify for full funding. If you have been resident in the EU for 3 years prior to the start of your course you will qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan only. Any evidence required to assess the application will be the same as that required for any UK born student applying.

If you apply as a home student, we send your details to the department of work and pensions who will contact you about getting a national insurance number.

Thanks
    Thank you so much...now I have an idea of what to do. Unfortunately, I've never been to the UK, but again thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark, you said you would have to be in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course in order to qualify for full funding. Would a British Overseas Territories student be able to apply for partial funding for a 4th year if they did a foundation year or did a undergraduate masters programme?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christina_33)
    Hi Mark, you said you would have to be in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course in order to qualify for full funding. Would a British Overseas Territories student be able to apply for partial funding for a 4th year if they did a foundation year or did a undergraduate masters programme?
    Funding eligibility is based on years of residency at the start of the course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.