Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

In my final semester of doing a Psychology and Philosophy BSc at Nottingham uni. I've finally decided to stop being lazy, and start looking at master's degrees in philosophy

I was just wondering how competitive these courses are. I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle and Nottingham, but I'm not sure whether or not I should also apply for the likes of Edinburgh and UCL too.

Does anybody have any experience applying to these courses, or know any entry statistics? Would an undergrad degree from Notts give me a solid enough academic background for applying to more prestigious unis (i.e. in the top ten for philosophy)? I'm expected to get a 2:1 overall, but I'm averaging a first in the philosophy side of the course, so I think I'm fairly capable of the step up.

Thanks in advance!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I see no reason why you couldn't gain admission to the kind of universities you're targeting with a strong 2:1 and mainly 1sts in relevant modules. I would suggest that your chances of being awarded a grant are pretty slim however, though I'm no expert in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    You'd probably have an easy time of getting onto an MA course in philosophy at any of the universities you mentioned. However, if you wanted to pursue a reseach Masters in philosophy (MPhil / MPhil Stud) then you'd need a First Class degree which was single-honours.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.