ReputationRep:
    I'm studying... A-Levels in Ancient History, Psychology and English Language & Literature (Combined)

I'm interested in... Ancient History at University level, getting the best grades i can and being a great uni applicant in general.

My study level is... AS-level

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, finding other people studying A level ancient history on TSR is really uncommon so I thought I'd drop a message. Are you doing the OCR course?

ReputationRep:
    I know! Yes I am, Rome and Sparta??! How are you finding it?

ReputationRep:
    Roman Britain and Athens for me. I enjoy the course, but the exam questions can be quite nasty. Trying to remember which sources you can use to back up your argument is difficult but I have the most trouble with evaluating them.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, I understand!! I think that the timings are really awful as well, the exam board say that the 10 mark Q can be answered in one sentence but I find that impossible to believe! Yeah the evaluation is annoying, especially when I'm not really sure what an A grade vs a C grade would look like: after saying all this though I really really love the course. Are you thinking about going any further with it?

ReputationRep:
    One sentence?! Where'd you hear that?? I'd find it really useful if we could see what a perfeft exam answer looks like so we had a better idea of how to structure one. How are you for timing your answers? And how much do you tend to write for each?

I'm already carrying it on unfortunately, I've got AS and A2 exams this summer!

ReputationRep:
    One of my teachers went on a course with the head of the exam board(s) and that's what one of the exam writer said. I know me too! It's annoying that they haven't released a model answer, well to my knowledge they haven't.

I find the timings on the first two are the worst but those are the two I struggle with so I guess it's inevitable for me. I tend to do 4 points for the first and aim for around 3 sources in the second (if those are the correct Qs).

Ah I see, are you in year 13? I only do three anyway so I have to carry it on.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok

Nah year 13 was last year for me, I got ABE In English, history and physics. Rather than resitting the physics I studied a whole new A level this year online. That's why I'm constantly looking anyone else studying the subject. I've never had a face to face teacher for it so it can be pretty tough to do on your own.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.